What's new

Studying Language in Japan; Sapporo

sketchnin

Registered
30 Oct 2016
This is my first post here and I wasn't sure where to post for studies in Japan, so sorry If this post is in the wrong place. I'm 18 years old and have taken a gap year off before going to RISD to visit Japan and Korea. I have not had any formal education to learn Japanese, but have started self studying using the Genki textbook for the past 2 months. I have made plans to go to the Hokkaido Japanese Language school in Sapporo for the school's Winter course from January to February, and afterwards study in Seoul from March to May. But I've started having second thoughts and begun to look for additional schools to study from May to July specifically on mainland Japan (such as in Tokyo or Kyoto ) to return to after my time in Korea. I'm worried that studying only in Sapporo, I would not get to see very much of the rest of Japan. I really would like someone's opinion. Do you think it would be better to study in Tokyo or Sapporo from January to February and try to find a different school? Or go through with the plan I have now. I want to add that before going to Korea I have 9 days inbetween the time that my school in Sapporo ends and my studies in korea starts.

This is my first post here and I wasn't sure where to post for studies in Japan, so sorry If this post is in the wrong place. I'm 18 years old and have taken a gap year off before going to RISD to visit Japan and Korea. I have not had any formal education to learn Japanese, but have started self studying using the Genki textbook for the past 2 months. I have made plans to go to the Hokkaido Japanese Language school in Sapporo for the school's Winter course from January to February, and afterwards study in Seoul from March to May. But I've started having second thoughts and begun to look for additional schools to study from May to July specifically on mainland Japan (such as in Tokyo or Kyoto) to return to after my time in Korea. I'm worried that studying only in Sapporo, I would not get to see very much of the rest of Japan. I really would like someone's opinion. Do you think it would be better to study in Tokyo or Sapporo from January to February and try to find a different school? Or go through with the plan I have now. I want to add that before going to Korea I have 9 days inbetween the time that my school in Sapporo ends and my studies in korea starts.
Since no one else answered, I'd say that seeing as much as you can would be a good idea.

January and February aren't exactly the best months to be in Tokyo but I imagine it's worse in the north.

If it were me, and I anticipated this to be my primary opportunity to see Japan I would probably see as many places as possible and not stay in one place the whole time.

Hokkaido in the winter, that'll be an interesting experience! I hope you aren't from Florida. Most of Japan and Korea are going to be pretty darn cold that time of year, even into March.

That being said, it's good of you to shop around and try to find good schools in other places so you can have a more varied experience. Unless your school in Sapporo is amazing (and even if it is), you'll probably be thirsty for a change of scenery by the time you finish your first stint.

Most of Japan and Korea are going to be pretty darn cold that time of year, even into March.

The most miserable and bitterly cold winter day I have ever spent in my life was an April day in Korea.

Hokkaido in the winter, that'll be an interesting experience! I hope you aren't from Florida. Most of Japan and Korea are going to be pretty darn cold that time of year, even into March.

That being said, it's good of you to shop around and try to find good schools in other places so you can have a more varied experience. Unless your school in Sapporo is amazing (and even if it is), you'll probably be thirsty for a change of scenery by the time you finish your first stint.
Heh, I think i'll should be up to handling it im from the USA North East, and i love skiing & winter hiking, though I have planned quite a few outdoor excursions for Hokkaido, (if I do ultimately go there) which I might not beable to go through with depending...
Either way I am going to be in a school so although everyone has told me to see as much of Japan as possible, my whole worry is that If i do go to hokkaido i might not be able to, but then again I may. I dont know!

Back
Top Bottom