What's new

Studying in Japan - Working and Living (later)

UroborosLichi

後輩
14 Jan 2012
Hi!

I am in the process of making plans to move to Japan, in hopes of first travelling there and looking for schools that are good (I'm confident it shouldn't be too difficult). I am looking for some helpful information - that would be great, I have been in the planning and saving up process. What would a recommended safe amount to save up for this venture? I am looking to go to school then gain a work permit (by attaining a job and proving myself worthy) then live and contribute to the community.

Again all information regarding this venture would be very helpful, I will also be reading the forum thoroughly for all bits of info.

Thanks!

What sort of school? What sort of job? What sort of degrees, qualifications, and marketable job skills do you currently have or plan to have by the time you finish school?

I am looking for animation and arts school, I want/would like a job in animation, but simply illustration would be alright as well.
I am pretty decent at art at my current point, I have been a freelance artist for a good time now and I have been doing some work from home and I am still doing it, I also have other job skills but not any in the field that I want. I have had a lot of previous work experience.
As for degrees, I have a high school diploma. (Not much there sadly) I DID graduate a year earlier than I was supposed to.

By the time I finish school I hope to have a mastery of animation or at least a high understanding of animation. I have had a few courses with animation software but I WANT to do more.

What sort of degree or certification do you intend to obtain in Japan? Will it be sufficient for working visa qualification purposes? Are you aware of the educational and/or work experience requirements for visas?

How is your Japanese ability? Are you literate? What concrete plan do you have for improving your abilities?

What are the employment prospects in your chosen field? How is the pay? What will make you a more appealing prospective employee than one of the many Japanese you'll be competing with? Will your type of work even be eligible for visa sponsorship? Will employers be willing to go through extra bureaucratic work in order to sponsor you? Do you know of any instances of other foreigners who have actually accomplished what you propose to do? (You're about the zillionth one I've seen propose it. I have yet to hear from one who actually managed it).

Have you ever visited Japan before? How do you know you will like it enough to stay? Are you aware that only a very tiny portion of western foreigners stick it out for even so short a time as three years before giving up and going back to "the world"?

I appreciate the information bombardment, a lot of what you brought up will be very helpful to me. I have already considered many of those questions you have posed. I am in contact with people who have traveled to and worked/lived in Japan before. I have been working on this plan for a while now and acknowledge that it is a very tough industry to get into which is why I am seeking help far enough in advance that I can succeed.
As for what will make me a more prospective employee over Japanese citizens is hopefully my skill in what I do heavy determination and study/work at university to become the best that I can. I will be pressed to study harder than everyone else and make sure I get everything out of it. I will work my hardest to excel at this, I am getting my information from many different sources and getting second opinions.
As for why I won't just run back to "the world": I have been to many different places and never felt out of place, the world is filled with many different cultures and many different things, I have spent a reasonable portion of my life in the caribbean and on the very small islands. There is not much to do there but its busy and different, Japan has always held a fire to me that I wanted to experience first hand, I will be visiting first before I make my solid decision. I want this, and I believe to fight for what you want, even against impossible odds, because sometimes the impossible dream is the one worth fighting for.
That is why I will not give up until I make it.

Well, good for you! I hope you'll be the one who actually makes it happen.

You wouldn't believe the number of figurative frogs this forum has kissed over the years. We would sort of like to see at least one prince out of the deal.

Thank you so much, that means a lot to me, it really does, I will work my hardest and if/when I make it, I will let you know!
Thanks again for your well wishes and I will be sure to keep you, and anyone else interested, posted.

I haven't checked specifically for animation and arts, but you can check out the Global 30 here and see what schools offer. Global 30 is a program to get Japanese universities to teach more degree programs in English. One of those universities may have something you are interested in, so take a look if you're interested.

Thank you, every piece of information helps and is all very relevant!

I will be sure to give it a look.

Thank you again.

Hi!
I am in the process of making plans to move to Japan, in hopes of first travelling there and looking for schools that are good (I'm confident it shouldn't be too difficult). I am looking for some helpful information - that would be great, I have been in the planning and saving up process. What would a recommended safe amount to save up for this venture? I am looking to go to school then gain a work permit (by attaining a job and proving myself worthy) then live and contribute to the community.
Again all information regarding this venture would be very helpful, I will also be reading the forum thoroughly for all bits of info.
Thanks!
Hi there! Your post caught my eye. Not too long ago I was in the same predicament as you but much more complicated. Anyway, to make a long story short: I was a military dependent, I loved Japan, and I wanted to study Illustration and 3D animation because I wanted to be a concept artist/character designer for some big gaming company or art studio. Problems were: 1. Fell in love with a guy in high school and there went that idea, 2. had to leave Japan anyway due to parent's military orders, and 3. absolutely no money/scholarships whatsoever.

I'm twenty-something now and here's my sincerest advice to you: Understand what it is you are getting into. Japan is one very expensive place to live in. You have to ask yourself how badly you want to study here because there is a lot of reality-hitting-culture-shocking things that a foreigner can get overwhelmed with, not to mention the very aggressive competition you will be facing. There are a ton of distractions as well. Unless you are linguistically gifted, it takes a good amount of time to become fluent in Japanese. You must TRULY have some sort of passion/love for Japan. You also must have a good amount of savings. DO NOT come to Japan prior to getting accepted to your school. It's best to get accepted while you're still in your home country, pay all of the entrance/whatever fees, obtain your student visa, and then come to Japan. Talk to your college: do they assist foreign students with boarding? Do they allow for you to work while going to school? Do they even conduct their courses in English? Or is it in Japanese only? (Most likely it will be the latter.) What are your reasons for wanting to study art in Japan? Is it the environment/culture? Do you admire a specific Japanese artist?

The art schools here are tough to get into because...well...in my opinion, I think that for a foreigner (who, say, doesn't speak Japanese) aiming to study a specific art in Japan is like trying to get into a very tightly closed niche, if you catch my drift. You either have a lot of money, or you have some really good connections to help you get by (even with this one you still need a lot of money).

Do you have a specific career goal? Do you, say, aspire to be a mangaka perhaps? CG animator? (a long forsaken dream of mine was to work for Studio Ghibli!) I think the majority of foreigners who WORK in the art/gaming/etc industry here in Japan, didn't necessarily go to school here in Japan. They most likely went to a school in their home country or somewhere else, possibly learned enough Japanese, applied to a job(s) here in Japan, had a kickass portfolio, and then obtained a work visa that way. It's very hard to get a work visa when you're already here... So, going back to my sincere advice to you: Know precisely what it is you want. Coming to Japan with vague goals will most definitely lead to an unpleasant experience.

I know it's kind of silly to say "trust" me in an online forum, but...I implore you to give my following words some consideration: In the art industry, it does not matter what school you are from. What matters is your portfolio, the talent and uniqueness there. What matters is your attitude and your ability to adapt...especially if you plan on targeting Japan as a work place because the culture/way of life here requires a lot of adapting. And then, you really do need to speak Japanese. It's very very difficult to find some Japanese art studio that will hire a non-Japanese speaking artist. I mean think about it, why should they bother with you when they can hire some talented Japanese with whom they won't have any problems communicating with?

If you really want to study here (in the field you're after) I suggest you do your best to learn the language first. While you're doing that, save as much money as you can. Then really be sure about the school you apply for/get accepted to. And remember, know what it is that you want first. You can always go to an art school in your home country, and then apply for jobs here. Because really, in this competitive economy, having vague dreams in a foreign country will only lead to disappointment.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom