What's new

Studying Computer Science in Japan

27 Feb 2012
I am currently studying at a Washington state community college and am interested in both Computer Science and Japanese. It has been recommended I go to a college in Japan after I graduate after two years and study Computer Science. My main problems are that there don't appear to be a lot of colleges in Japan that accept foreigners into technical undergraduate degree programs. Even if I were to be accepted, according to a ranking site I saw, even schools like the University of Tokyo aren't highly ranked. This may not be a problem if I decide to stay in Japan but should I decide to come back and work in the U.S., I will most likely have difficulty fining a job. I will also have to take the entrance exam which I doubt I will do well enough on to go to a prestigious school as it looks I will be competing with Japanese natives since most schools don't have transfer programs. What would you recommend doing? I would appreciate all options relating to studying Japanese and Computer Science.

You can check this link for a list of programs for Undergraduate, Master's and Doctor's courses all taught in English in Japanese universities. It's called Global 30. In a lot of those you do not have to take the entrance exam that Japanese natives do, but I still had to take a separate exam for mine.

Or, you can get your degree first in the US and then go to Japan for a Master's degree. That way you can always fall back on your US bachelor's degree in case you need a job. I would also recommend trying to see if your university has an exchange program with any Japanese universities. Undergrad exchange programs are the best way to study in Japan because you have the least amount of responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom