What's new

Sony takes on GameBoy

Hmm, not so sure about that. The Nintendo's Gameboy is a fine device and has great games.

Unless gameprices will drop by introducing competition, i don't think anybody is waiting for another portable gaming system.
I don't think that will happen though, because that's not happening in the regular console-scene either.

Originally posted by Twisted
Hmm, not so sure about that. The Nintendo's Gameboy is a fine device and has great games.

Unless gameprices will drop by introducing competition, i don't think anybody is waiting for another portable gaming system.
I don't think that will happen though, because that's not happening in the regular console-scene either.

That's the thing, nobody is sure what will happen. Nintendo is great, but I really would like to see another company in the market. If anything, to keep nintendo on their toes... The system sony has announced sounds great! Nintendo will probably respond for sure with something better, but we'll probably enjoy greater portable gaming devices.

Hmm, i just hope they don't compete eachother out of business, like what happend to Sega.

I'm actually still waiting for a Gameboy with phone functionality. Well, the Nokia N-Gage will provide for that, i suppose. :)

Nintendo won't have to worry about competing themself right out of business being the most experienced in the handheld gaming biz as of current and the GameBoy Advance/SP is too hot a seller even worry about losses.

Sony's new product will most likely succeed as they're proven since the inception of their console, the Playstation. They will probably look to other third party companies for game support and I'm sure fans will enjoy hand held versions of games like GTA, Crash, Spyro and Jak & Dexter.

Sega simply got caught in forgetting how to appeal to gaming fans outside of Japan, even though I think the Dreamcast should have been a keeper. Saturn and DC was just too hardcore and not mainstream enough to keep up. I do recall years enough of their quite decent Game Gear system that should have outdone Game Boy, but never managed to.

I feel this competition will be beneficial to both companies very much in the gaming business.

GTA ported over to a gameboy can't be anything like the PC version I imagine... Is this out already?

Well the first two versions of GTA would be a possibility.

There were lots of good portable systems in the past, way before Nintendo introduced colour to it's Gameboy.
At the time of the Game Gear, you also had the Atari Lynx and a portable version of the PC Engine. All these systems had a colourscreen but none broke the mold. At the time they were a lot more expensive though.

Originally posted by Twisted
Well the first two versions of GTA would be a possibility.

There were lots of good portable systems in the past, way before Nintendo introduced colour to it's Gameboy.
At the time of the Game Gear, you also had the Atari Lynx and a portable version of the PC Engine. All these systems had a colourscreen but none broke the mold. At the time they were a lot more expensive though.

The lynx was pretty neat for it's time, but quite bulky... With the batteries getting smaller and more powerful everyday, I'm sure if the lynx was made today, it would have had a fighting chance.

and yeah, your probably right about GTA 1 and 2 would port well probably. The GBA is considered more powerful than the super nintendo. =)

Yeah, shame about the low resolution screen though. That's one thing they should improve on a next version.

Ah, now i remember what that portable PC-Engine was called. It was a Turbo-R. The coolest name for any system. :)
I think a friend of mine still owns one.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/05/14/nintendo.sony.reut/index.html

Nintendo dismisses Sony Game Boy rival

Amusing how they feel they're king of the hill. =) For now they are, but they could so easily be fighting for that spot when the new portables gaming devices come out...

If I were Nintendo I'd be worried. Nintendo were King of the Hill with Famicom (NES) and Super Famicom (SNES) and then along came Playstation.....

Now Nintendo are fighting with Microsoft for second place in the console market. A long long way behind Sony.

To be honest, I was just a little bit disappointed with Gameboy Advance when it came out. It was a step forward, and well priced, but not the big leap I'd been hoping for. That said, I bought both an Advance and an SP within a few days of them coming out.

Tiger

I think the PSP looks cool. The specs make it look really nice and even though it isn't as good as a PS2, the small screen gives a lot of leeway before outdated graphics start looking bad. I don't know how it will affect Nintendo, but I am certainly drooling already, but...reading some of the current press releases from Sony makes me wonder if they might be going the same way as Nokia with the stupid N Guage. I hated the idea of a cell phone/game system from the moment I heard about it. Then all the screwups Nokia did with the design...sheesh. Anyways...reading between the lines of press releases made it sound like Sony might be heading towards the cell phone/gaming system combo or maybe something else. Something said about how the PSP wasn't going to be just one gaming system system but several somethings or something like that. Man, if they screw this up...I'm gonna be POed!! And then life goes on.

i just hope they put 4 buttons on it. thats what i hated when i first saw the GBA was like what how hard would it have been to put X and Y on there as well. yes i know it has L and R buttons, but that doesnt make up for the lack of the other two. i dont remember a 2 button system since the NES. to me it seems more difficult to port over games when you dont even have enough buttons.

Last edited:
I think that Sony has nothing on the Nintendo company. Nintendo has always been a company stricly focused on gaming and game consoles. Nintendo is just pure FUN, and i dont know what's the big deal here..........

I think the sony gameboy copy thing is going to be straight up crap, that N-Gage thing is hideous and completely stupid, i think the sony psp is gonna be just as crappy, I dont wanna talk to someone on the same device that i play games on, it just makes it look ugly and big with all those buttons, i believe the psp is gonna be just as ugly and useless as the N-Gage, but thats just my opinion lol :)

Back
Top Bottom