What's new

Song Titles

Kikyou

Shrine Maiden Priestess
16 Jun 2004
I've noticed that for a LOT of japanese songs, the title is in english. That makes me wonder. :? Like for example, the titles on Ayumi Hamasaki's songs are almost all in english. But in most of them, you don't even hear her say it. And it goes for many other japanese singers. Sooo... Would somebody mind explaining why that is so?

Kikyou said:
I've noticed that for a LOT of japanese songs, the title is in english. That makes me wonder. :? Like for example, the titles on Ayumi Hamasaki's songs are almost all in english. But in most of them, you don't even hear her say it. And it goes for many other japanese singers. Sooo... Would somebody mind explaining why that is so?

The Japanese have always had an obsession with anything foreign, especially American. Ever since the end of WWII they've thought that anything that sounds English is very fancy. Many Japanese today forcibly incorporate English words into their speech or even combine them with Japanese words. I once heard a high school student say "un-shinjir-able!" instead of unbelievable.

Most names, other than for humans, usually sound like a foreign word--e.g., company names (House, Lion, National) or product names (Shounen Magajin), etc. Some names aren't even legitimate words in any foreign language. E.g., Calpis, Lotte, Yakult; they have a non-dairy creamy for coffee called "Creap". No joke!

Back to music, virtually all J-pop songs have, if not an English title, some English words in the lyrics somewhere. Another reason could be that, with Japan being so international, the artists may want to appeal to a Gaijin audience.

My two favorite J-pop songs are:

"Promised You" - ZARD

and

"We'll be Together" - Yoko Oginome (music written by a Canadian, Steve Barakatt)

If you can download songs, try listening to them! 👍

I am grateful that a lot of Japanese songs have English titles which makes it much easier for me to order them online. For instance, "Yuki no Hana" from Mika Nakashima (by the way, I think she resembles Vivian Tsui) does not make sense to me, therefore it is hard for me to remember. On the other hand, "First Love" from Utada Hikaru not only understandable but also easy to remember.

When you are selling something (except you are planning to cater for an exclusive class, then you would rather make up some high-class name like Haagen-Dazs which sounds European enough to fool the Americans to pay extra bucks for their ice-cream), it is safer to pick a simple, short and thus memorable name. e.g. Apple computer, Coca-Cola and Holiday Inn.

Jean-Francois said:
When you are selling something (except you are planning to cater for an exclusive class, then you would rather make up some high-class name like Haagen-Dazs which sounds European enough to fool the Americans to pay extra bucks for their ice-cream), it is safer to pick a simple, short and thus memorable name. e.g. Apple computer, Coca-Cola and Holiday Inn.

Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream is made in the Bronx, New York! :D :LOL: :D :LOL: :D :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom