What's new

Smoking in Japan

If you're in someones home who smokes the non-smoker is the one who must make the choice. Yet, if the home is a non-smokers it's up to the non-smoker to hand out an ash tray or not.

Both my fiance don't smoke. I am also alergic to smoke so it effects me harder then most. If someone comes to my house they KNOW its a no-smoking area and they need to smoke outside, in the backyard. If its winter (and here we get it COLD) and they still want to smoke they go outside. no discussion.

My parents both smoke and I do not go over alot for that reason. And when I DO go over (sorry for all the caps :p ) I have to take off what I was wearing and wash it and take a shower to get rid of the smell...is this extreme? Yes, for my alergies I have no choice.

djl_ottawa, your parents smoke nicotine because they are true drug addicts who think that a short period of "possible" substantial discomfort called quitting - that leads to permanent comfort - is harder than smoking that next cigarette. I seriously doubt that your parents have ever studied their addiction or any of the science on how to make quitting far more comfortable than they can imagine. I hope you find a way to reach them.

This link is to Joel's Library that has been translated into Japanese. I hope they help!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John

Westerners have a bad habit of applying western ideas to Japan. Americans often think that Italians drink way too much and bugs many of them, but do the Italians see anything wrong with drinking? Never try to change Japan's values, accept them and respect them or stay in the west!

As a smoker, I for one would be glad to be in a place that was laxer about smoking! To non-smokers in the U.S., it may seem that smoking is all too proliferant, but it is getting harder and harder to find places where it is okay to smoke. In California, you can't even smoke in bars, let alone public restaurants! From a public-health standpoint, I suppose it's a good thing. I mean, I don't smoke in public places where it might be offensive to others, and certainly not around children. I just hate the whole moral-highground aspect of it. It reminds me of the way a vegan* will look at you like a criminal if you put milk your coffee.

*person who neither eats or uses any animal byproducts for ethical and health reasons.

Yeah, its the same here in BC, Canada about smoking laws. YOu can't even smoke in a tobbacco shop!!
I'm not saying its good to smoke, but I think as long as its not marketed towards kids, or teens, then let adults make their own decisions.... right.
One thing I know though, is that in Canada, and very likely in the USA, there is soooo much anti smoking ad's out there and people get carried away with it.
I might be mistaken, but i'm sure the life expectancy is much higher for japanese people, even though a huge part of the population smokes compared to north america now. I think that sais a lot. Maybe its a bad life style, a combination of a bad diet, smoking, drinking, no excersize, and even drugs that is killing people more than one thing in particular.

I have Asthma so it would be inconvenient for meif in Tokyo people smoked all over the place.

I don't smoke, and I have noticed that people in Japan smoke a lot. (also when watching Japanese films, there are always (or quite often) men smoking in the film - which I hardly ever see when watching NEWER American or for that matter; European films (of course it depends on the type of film and characters in it).

djl_ottawa said:
Both my fiance don't smoke.
Dude! You have TWO fiancees? That sounds expensive...

Anyway, I found that people smoke even more in Korea, they even have ash trays in the bathrooms, at each urinal and in every stall! And they're often filled with cigarette butts!

I Keep Wondering ....

how long before the lawyers and Joe Citizen start suing the booze makers? I think booze has caused a lot more deaths then cigs have. It seems like an easy target and as much money or more to be had as they got out of cig manufactures. I guess they figure they could never find 12 jurors who don't drink?

Frank

😊

They can't take away my alcohol!! If they do I'll probably end up going blind from drinking moonshine someone made in their bathtub...

HEAR, HEAR!
Living in Denmark and high school and university life in UK and Denmark in general has taught me to drink alcohol!
Although I don't drink as much as I used to when I was in university, :) they can't take away red wine for my dinner parties!! :D Or: my vodka with juice in bars!!

I don't care if they took away cigarettes because : I DON'T smoke....I hate the smell of cigarettes.
I used to social smoke some years ago, but NO longer, as it is a bad habit!!

"I don't smoke, and I have noticed that people in Japan smoke a lot."
i agree with the rest of the post as well.
the hotel room stinks of it. at least the concierge seems nice though

It's one of the things that bugs me the most about Japan. I am not allergic to smoke, but it makes me cough and smells terrible. So I hate it if I have to wait at the train station, or go in a restaurant. There is nowhere to go and I am stuck there coughing, or trying not to.

They have non-smoking sections in some restaurants, but they are useless since they tend to be right next to the smoking section so you can smell it anyway. As a general rule I don't mind it if people smoke or drink, as long as it isn't around me.

Whomever wants to enforce non smoking/drinking laws in Japan needs to layoff. First off it's their culture and they'll do what they think is best for them. Secondly, anyone who is opposed to teen drinking/smoking has proven that the United States has been quite effective at decieving you into believing it's all ba dand kills everyone...when was the last time someone close to you died because of any of these 2 drug related problems?

Besides why waste legislative, and law enforcement time on such silly efforts as stoping drug consumption? It's only been going on forever and has never, and will never work. Let the government protect us from others, as for everyone else...try some self responsibility. If you don't like being around people who do such things..you have that right to go elsewhere, nuff' said.

Back
Top Bottom