What's new

Small pictures on newssites

RockLee

Hullu
22 Apr 2004
This question was lingering in my head for too long now, so I'll ask it !

Why are the pictures on newsarticles or regular articles always damned K-tai pictures, too small for the normal eye to see???? Seriously, it bedazzles me why they do such thing ☝ To save bandwidth? Why? Why? Whyyyyy??

Japan has some of the most advanced digital camera's, yet they use those retardedly small k-tai pictures !

For example :

http://news.goo.ne.jp/news/picture/hokkaido/20060807/200608071341-hokkaido.html

http://news.goo.ne.jp/news/picture/yomiuri/20060804/20060804it08-yol.html

And the list goes on and on !

Wow!...indeed...Perhaps because Japanese people have greater interrest in reading long texts than watching good pictures? Perhaps do they not know the "un dessin vaut mieux qu'un long discourt" sentence (if you know its english version Rocklee...)?

More seriously, perhaps is it just a habit they took from the time they had -only- newspapers, in which they had only small places to add pictures? Conservatives as they are…;-)

Basically to save space right? I mean the photo is big enough to get the point of the story across.

Almost all web news sites do that. It's always bugged me as well, but I haven't thought about why they do it specifically. I always figured they were just stingy with the high quality photos.

@CC1: Well, most of the time the picture is too unclear or too small to make out anything at all.

@nice gaijin: That could be a possibility, as high quality pictures are expensive.

Rock, I checked the Asahi Shimbun website and the photos were so so to me, I guess you are right though.

Well here is a theory, and is usually correct... For those high volume websites that have a crap load of hits from around the world, their servers would not be able to handle all those hits at once, and to save bandwidth and loading times, the use mostly text, and small scripts along with small pictures.

-Rudel- said:
Well here is a theory, and is usually correct... For those high volume websites that have a crap load of hits from around the world, their servers would not be able to handle all those hits at once, and to save bandwidth and loading times, the use mostly text, and small scripts along with small pictures.

Seems fair, but still they are way to small, to really enjoy viewing them haha.

I guess huge-*** pictures slow down the loading time for people who have dial-up or not such a good connection in some way.
Although some sites (like BBC) offer a 'no graphics' option, which seems like a better idea.

@ Mamoru-kun : In England it goes "A picture is worth a thousand words!" 👍

Back
Top Bottom