What's new

Sentences ending with 'no'

tmask

後輩
11 Apr 2005
I don't know much Japanese but I am learning. I cant seem to find any help on what and why this short sentence means exactly. My pen pal friend asked me げんきだったの? I am guessing this is asking me how I am doing because of the genki datta part, but the NO at the end confuses me. I'm assuming this is grammatically legit, but I'm at a loss as to what it is. Can anyone help?

Is your pen pal female? Sometimes when using the explanatory んだ you'll find a lot of females that use の instead. Basically all it does is invite an explanation of how you are doing.

A more fluent speaker may want to correct me on that just in case though.

In the case of a question, I think anyone can use 'no' very casually for "desuka?" It may indicate a certain spontaneous feeling of surprise or unexpectedness....and why the past tense ? More context would help, but
it definately makes sense there grammatically. :)

Elizabeth hit it pretty close to correct. The "desu ka?" is dropped off the end and the intonation on the "no" serves to identify it as a question. This is actually very common in casual speech, especially among women.

The ending -no can convey the meaning of "wake desu" when used in a statement, for emphatic purposes.

Here is an example of my friend using -no and -datta endings My friend is female

Friend: あれ、まだ起きてるの?
Damicci: えっと
Damicci: ちょっと待って下さい
Friend: はいはい
Damicci: ごめんね
Damicci: 何?
Friend: あ~、友達のパーティー来てくれて、ありがとね
Friend: 大丈夫だった?
Damicci: はい大丈夫
Damicci 私達をさそた ありがとう
Friend: どういたしまして。でも私も、知らない人多くて・・・
Damicci: ああ そうですか