What's new

Travel News Senkyaku Banrai (千客万来): a replacement for Oedo Monogatari Onsen?

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Tokyo is bound to get a new shopping and onsen facility in Toyosu in 2024. The closure of the famous Oedo Monogatari Onsen in September 2021, which was very popular among tourists, was lamented by many. The new facility, known by its tentative name "Senkyaku Banrai" (千客万来), will comprise restaurants, shops, and an onsen facility similar to that of the former Oedo Monogatari hot spring resort.

The new resort, scheduled to be inaugurated on 1 February 2024, will be right next to the Toyosu fish market. The shopping area will recreate the atmosphere of Tsukiji, while the hot spring resort will be based on the wooden architecture of the old Edo townscape. The hot spring water will be delivered by lorry from Hakone and Yugawara in Kanagawa Prefecture.

The onsen area will offer a rotenburo, saunas, bedrock baths, beauty salons, and massage parlours. The roof of the hot spring building will have two observation footbath gardens (open to the general public), which overlook the Toyosu area.

Senkyaku Banrai (千客万来)

Senkyaku Banrai (千客万来)

Senkyaku Banrai (千客万来)

Senkyaku Banrai (千客万来)

Makes you wonder why they had to tear down the good old Oedo Monogatari Onsen in the first place.

Makes you wonder why they had to tear down the good old Oedo Monogatari Onsen in the first place.
broken windows fallacy, "creating jobs" to rebuild a thing that wasn't broken and didn't need fixing till it got torn down.

I don't know anything about the previous establishment, but the new one looks to be very touristy indeed. The shopping area (with the sushi shop featuring some napa cabbage for sale?) kinda reminds me of the Yokohama Ramen Museum, which has an old Edo neighborhood saigen-machi inside the cavernous building, replete with kamishibai performers.

What's the small office building-looking thing next to it? Is that supposed to be the hot spring? That whole building can't be dedicated just to the resort, or there's much more to it than just a spa.

As goofy and gimmicky as this is, I would totally be down for something like this to be built here if it meant a legit onsen and Japanese food options. The spa options here are so dismally... modern western bougie. This kind of establishment wouldn't be out of place in Japantown or Little Tokyo, or even as part of a revival of Sacramento's lost Japanese neighborhoods. We just need to get an onsen pipeline put in to pump the good stuff across the pacific!

Delivering water by lorry seems a bit over the top. Is that the only way they can have an "onsen" moniker?

Toyosu Senkyaku Banrai will be inaugurated next Thursday, 1 February.

Senkyaku Banrai is a new spot that will open on the 1st of next month. It is located near the Toyosu Market and is divided into two main areas: a large bathing facility and a dining facility. The bathing facility offers a panoramic view of Tokyo Bay and the night view, and you can enjoy bathing with a spectacular view 24 hours a day, which is sure to heal both your mind and body. In the commercial facility that reproduces the streetscape of Edo, you can relax and enjoy fresh ingredients that take advantage of the fact that the Toyosu Market is adjacent, such as tuna speciality stores, seafood robatayaki, and tamagoyaki. Mr. Makoto Takahashi, Vice President of Manyo Club, said, "Since it is located next to the Toyosu Market, we would like to develop it in cooperation with the market, taking advantage of the location, and develop it as an original outdoor market.

As goofy and gimmicky as this is, I would totally be down for something like this to be built here if it meant a legit onsen and Japanese food options.

Me too. Feels better to me than the fake castles that dot Japan.
I don't know why. Maybe because it serves some purpose other than just a visual attraction.

The first video walks are already out:

And more news:

I didn't watch the whole thing, but...yeah, I don't hate it.
Its touristy and gimmicky, but it looks fun, and better to have a destination like this than another concrete-glass-chrome shopping mall.

It reminds me of the second-floor arcade of the departure area at Haneda airport, with the souvenir shops and the restaurants done in a kind of Edo era architectural affectation. It's always crowded, but its also interesting and fun to walk through, even if I've already been through it many times.

I love walking through the concrete, glass, and chrome shopping centers, too... but Tokyo really doesn't need any more.

Yeah, I am more okay with this than I expected, and I'm even cooler with the idea of something like this here. It's a bit like a themed mall with an extensive food court and a built-in spa facility, but whereas malls (in America) served as an unintentional communal spaces built in the hopes to just make money, this could be an intentional communal space... built in the hopes to make money, but in a way that can't be easily replaced in an online space, because the spending is centered more around shared experiences than just commerce.

I think it could be a nice place to bring people together, to physically share space and rebuild some sense of community we've been ceding to the internet.

Yeah, I am more okay with this than I expected, and I'm even cooler with the idea of something like this here. It's a bit like a themed mall with an extensive food court and a built-in spa facility, but whereas malls (in America) served as an unintentional communal spaces built in the hopes to just make money, this could be an intentional communal space... built in the hopes to make money, but in a way that can't be easily replaced in an online space, because the spending is centered more around shared experiences than just commerce.

I think it could be a nice place to bring people together, to physically share space and rebuild some sense of community we've been ceding to the internet.
If/when I go there I hope it won't be that crowded though. I've been to Oedo Monogatari and it was really fun. All indoors and you could walk around in yukata. So more spa like than this place. (Unless they're just not giving us a tour of the spa area yet.) I thought we went to the Odaiba one but my wife thinks it was Urayasu so maybe it's still there.

If/when I go there I hope it won't be that crowded though. I've been to Oedo Monogatari and it was really fun. All indoors and you could walk around in yukata. So more spa like than this place. (Unless they're just not giving us a tour of the spa area yet.) I thought we went to the Odaiba one but my wife thinks it was Urayasu so maybe it's still there.

Oedo Monogatari Onsen (the one in Odaiba) was fun. You could spend the whole night there; they had reclining easy chairs to sleep in and arrays of beer vending machines for the after-hours. I remember a lot of salarymen went there after they'd missed their last train.

Oedo Monogatari Onsen (the one in Odaiba) was fun. You could spend the whole night there; they had reclining easy chairs to sleep in and arrays of beer vending machines for the after-hours. I remember a lot of salarymen went there after they'd missed their last train.
We spent an evening at a similar spot in Yokohama once, Manyo Club I think

Back
Top Bottom