What's new

News Seibu chameleon train

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Seibu Railway Co. is currently considering to introduce (in 2018) a new type of train devised by architect Kazuyo Sejima and designed to be almost invisible. The new train combines a highly reflective skin with a semi-transparent body. The design concept looks pretty impressive. How can you not turn into a train otaku in Japan?

seibu-chameleon.jpg

Japan: 'Invisible' chameleon-like train set to hit tracks in 2018

Japan's leading architect is working on an invisible train with semi-transparent and semi-reflective materials that blend into the scenery. The commuter train is being designed for Seibu Railways by Japanese architect Kazuyo Sejima of the Sanaa architecture firm.

The Seibu flagship train will blend in the countryside by mirroring the nearby scenery. Sejima –winner of the Pritzker Architecture Prize in 2010, referred to as the Nobel Prize of architecture –says what inspired her to take on the project was the mobility of the design she was working on.

"The limited express travels in a variety of different sceneries, from the mountains of Chichibu to the middle of Tokyo, and I thought it would be good if the train could gently co-exist with this variety of scenery," said Sejima in Seibu's official press release, reported Newsweek.

"I also would like it to be a limited express where large numbers of people can all relax in comfort, in their own way, like a living room, so that they think to themselves 'I look forward to riding that train again.'"

The Sanaa architecture firm — founded by Sejima and Ryue Nishizawa in 1995 — is known for its use of light and space in its architectural projects. The company has previously showcased designs at the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York, the Serpentine Pavilion in London and the Rolex Learning Center in Lausanne, Switzerland amongst other venues worldwide.

西武鉄道 2018年度に新型特急車輌導入

Can't wait for the first person involved in an accident with the train to sue the railroad....

Back
Top Bottom