What's new

Potty training for joy of the Grand Pee

Hachiko

後輩
17 Jan 2004
Not exactly wai wai, but close:

One thing most foreigners are surprised to see when they come to Japan is men urinating in public. Taxi drivers, salarymen and just plain drunks can be seen standing against a wall, a hedge or over a grid in public streets any time of day or night, peeing. I call it the Grand Pee.

Japan Times

Yeah I remember when I first landed in Tokyo for the first time in my life and I was in the subway, I was so happy I was in such a clean place, the Mecca of technology and coolness I had this gigantic grin on my face that made me look retarded, then I stepped out of the subway to look for a place to stay and the first thing I saw was a salary man taking a piss in front me with his parts hanging out. Let me say that grin was no longer there and I hit the "reality of Japan" wall lol

Every once in a great while you can find old guys standing on the sidewalk taking a leak....facing traffic and making not even the slightest pretense of being discreet. (Yes, I have jpegs).

mikecash said:
Every once in a great while you can find old guys standing on the sidewalk taking a leak....facing traffic and making not even the slightest pretense of being discreet. (Yes, I have jpegs).
So what's the availability of public toilets like in Japan? (UK isn't brilliant but they usually make the effort).

PaulTB said:
So what's the availability of public toilets like in Japan? (UK isn't brilliant but they usually make the effort).

With the vast proliferation of convenience stores in the last few years, the availability is great. It used to be not-so-hot.

mikecash said:
With the vast proliferation of convenience stores in the last few years, the availability is great. It used to be not-so-hot.
Are the toilets in the convenience stores open to the public in Japan, or do you need to ask the clerk for an exception in consideration of the emergency situation ? Don't you have to beg for that key (or permission) to the toilet in the back ?

Most of them are open to the public. I've encountered very few that didn't have toilet facilities customers could use. I've only encountered one that had a sign saying that the toilet was for people who were buying[/] something.

Public toilets in the UK are difficult to find! Aaargh! Sometimes I really envy that men have more, umm, versatility about peeing in public places... 😌

Guys peeing in public is gross. One time I saw a guy peeing by the garage door to my apartment building... it was the middle of the day, so I assumed he was drunk and too far from home. I went to the dairy (convenience store), then went back to my apartment, got in the elevator and this horrid species was standing there, in the elevator waiting to go up!... Why oh why could he not have waited just 2 more minutes? Disgusting.
In Thailand you have to pay to use so many of the toilets, and they dont even keep them relatively clean. Some parts of Cambodia you're lucky if you can find one... otherwise its out the back of the restaurant across the field to a bathroom thats used by everyone in the 2 mile radius... or there is just the field (but I think I mentioned that somewhere else).
I havent seen anyone peeing on the street in Korea, then there are so many little alleyways who knows what goes on.
Then in saying that I have had to do alot of drunken walking through buildings and arcades to find a toilet here, but they are out there!

blade said:
Yeah I remember when I first landed in Tokyo for the first time in my life and I was in the subway, I was so happy I was in such a clean place, the Mecca of technology and coolness

Imagine the disgust an American woman faces having to squat over a hole in a mall, restuarant or similar place, and having the foul odors hit you square in the face because now your nose is only about 18" from the floor, which hasn't been cleaned in God knows how long. Yeah that "clean" idea hits the wall pretty hard.

Hahaha, that happens to not 'just' american women... I was really fussy with toilets before I came overseas... my first squat toilet was rather some experience... maybe I should turn that into a thread...
Yeah the stink is pretty gross

Guys peeing in public is gross, let alone girls, i live in England and almost always whenever you take the stairs down from a parking storey lot all you can smell is the stench of piss.
Its totally gross, only animals should pee in the streets and other areas, humans should be more civilised than that. Its very unhygenic as well.

Back
Top Bottom