What's new

Secret city beneath Tokyo

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Sounds like one of Haruki Murakami's novels...

Seven riddles suggest a secret city beneath Tokyo

During the Gulf War in 1991, Shun Akiba was one of only two foreign journalists reporting from Baghdad, along with Peter Arnett of CNN. With such experience and expertise, it would be reasonable to imagine him in great demand right now. Wrong. Shun is on some kind of invisible blacklist. His book "Teito Tokyo Kakusareta Chikamono Himitsu" ("Imperial City Tokyo: Secret of a Hidden Underground Network"), published by Yosensha in late 2002, is already in its fifth edition. Yet Shun has found it impossible to get the media to take serious note, write reviews or offer interviews. This is very strange because he has a great story -- evidence of a network of tunnels and possibly an underground city beneath Tokyo that the public is totally unaware of. "Why am I ignored? Can I be on to something, and there is a conspiracy to silence me? I believe so." [...]

Shun claims to have uncovered a secret code that links a complex network of tunnels unknown to the general public. "Every city with a historic subterranean transport system has secrets," he says. "In London, for example, some lines are near the surface and others very deep, for no obvious reason." Sitting on the Ginza subway from Suehirocho to Kanda, he says, you can see many mysterious tunnels leading off from the main track. "No such routes are shown on maps." Travelling from Kasumigaseki to Kokkai-gijidomae, there is a line off to the left that is not shown on any map. Nor is it indicated in subway construction records. At Tameike-sanno on the Ginza Line, the first basement level is closed off, for official use only. "Go to the toilet on B2 and there is a door to B1, but locked."

shun_akiba.jpg

Hey, this is the story of my ancestors!!! Forgotten tunnels, (places of worship!) will these stories ever be proven right or wrong???
In my town, there is apparently tunnels from a college to a Chapel!! (4 mins walk from my home!) these tunnels have never been denied nor acknowledged by the authorities, but undeniable truth has never come forth!!! 😄 As Moulder and Scully(X-files) would say "the truth is out there!! Some-where!! 👏 😌

lineartube said:
Actually that is more common in older networks than it would be normal. Here's a link to the forgotten past of London's Tube:

That must also be an abandoned site. I'm not interested in playing online blackjack, thanks.

Nah, that can't be it. Surely those stations must still be abandoned. <smiley goes here>

Yeah, along with the website. <insert smiley here> (hmmm...that sounds kind of strange)

Well, considering even back-water Savannah has an "underground" I really wouldn't doubt that any larger city could have a hidden network of whatever. Although, Savannah's tunnels were mostly for transport of the sick and dead from whichever plague it was that hit the city from the hospital to where ever they took them. One exception is the tunnel from the Pirate's House to the river front, which was genuinely a "secret" passage that was used for smuggling, etc. back in colonial days.

for a fictional and very intersting view you should read murakami harukis hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world

Quite interesting and something that I have been following for a few years. It seems that almost every major city in the world has some form of vast underground tunnels that the public is not informed about. Check out some of these sites to see what I mean. A few sites you may have to take with a grain of salt. Interesting reading anyway.

cmetom said:
only available in Japanese? i'd love to read this book.

i was referring to the original topic, Shun Akiba's Teito Tokyo Kakusareta Chikamono Himitsu.
does anyone know if it's available in an english translation?

also thanks for the recent links posted, i'll check them out. (this stuff fascinates me)

I have a vague memory of hearing about New York (or maybe it was some other place) expanding a subway line and making plans to build a new station. They broke through a wall and found an old abandoned station from sometime back in the Victorian era.

Turn the question around: Why would they want to publicize them?

Brooker said:
But why would they want to keep such tunnels a secret?

It's because they're safety hazards.

Doc:ramen:😄

Last edited:
Doesn't surprise me. I think most major cities have unmapped tunnels under them. John Saul wrote a book called 'The Manhattan Hunt Club' which is set under Manhattan in the tunnels.

Back
Top Bottom