What's new

.scr attachments

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Does anyone else notice an increase in spam mails with .exe or .scr attachments? Since one or two weeks I receive a couple of them each and every day.

Seems to be a new (or modified) worm: W32.Yaha.K@mm.

:box:

.scr attachements are Windows screensaver files, which are actually just as executable as ordinary .exe files.
They've been used in different kinds of viruses for some time now.

I didn't get any yet... :)

I am glad I switched to a web-based email service. They check all incoming mails for suspicious files and filter spam. So apart from the occassional Nigerian scam mail the spam avalanche has been completely stopped.

;)

What do you mean by web-based ? Something like hotmail or yahoo ? Yahoo is quite good; it has Norton antivirus integrated and scan all files before opening them. I rarely get spam (if any at all) on my yahoo adresses, while my hotmail accounts struggle everyday to stay clean. :( What's more Yahoo gives 6MB, but hotmail only 2MB.

Does anybody know other good free email ? Lycos give up to 15MB of free storage, but it's just crap.

With "web-based" I referred to services like Hotmail and Yahoo. I'm using gmx.net for all my correspondance. It's a German company offering 20MB storage, but they delete mails that are older than 3 months.

Last edited:
Cool ! There is ICQ notification, free homepage hosting, chat and forum links, calendar, antispam... Bad luck there are doraemons everywhere. Not that I don't like him, but that look very childish.

Heh, you should see my room at home. :)

Actually, their parent company is the Hong Kong based Outblaze.com. I think they have more differently themed email-services.

Back
Top Bottom