What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

.scr attachments

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Does anyone else notice an increase in spam mails with .exe or .scr attachments? Since one or two weeks I receive a couple of them each and every day.

Seems to be a new (or modified) worm: W32.Yaha.K@mm.

:box:

Twisted

That man in the corner
Reaction score
.scr attachements are Windows screensaver files, which are actually just as executable as ordinary .exe files.
They've been used in different kinds of viruses for some time now.

I didn't get any yet... :)

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
I am glad I switched to a web-based email service. They check all incoming mails for suspicious files and filter spam. So apart from the occassional Nigerian scam mail the spam avalanche has been completely stopped.

;)

Maciamo

Twirling dragon
Reaction score
What do you mean by web-based ? Something like hotmail or yahoo ? Yahoo is quite good; it has Norton antivirus integrated and scan all files before opening them. I rarely get spam (if any at all) on my yahoo adresses, while my hotmail accounts struggle everyday to stay clean. :( What's more Yahoo gives 6MB, but hotmail only 2MB.

Does anybody know other good free email ? Lycos give up to 15MB of free storage, but it's just crap.

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
With "web-based" I referred to services like Hotmail and Yahoo. I'm using gmx.net for all my correspondance. It's a German company offering 20MB storage, but they delete mails that are older than 3 months.

Last edited:

Twisted

That man in the corner
Reaction score
Check out this one:
http://www.doramail.com

"doramail.com has set no fixed upper limit on the number of messages a User may send or receive through the Services"

It's pretty neat. :)

Maciamo

Twirling dragon
Reaction score
Cool ! There is ICQ notification, free homepage hosting, chat and forum links, calendar, antispam... Bad luck there are doraemons everywhere. Not that I don't like him, but that look very childish.

Twisted

That man in the corner
Reaction score
Heh, you should see my room at home. :)

Actually, their parent company is the Hong Kong based Outblaze.com. I think they have more differently themed email-services.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom