What's new

Scooter travel trip

cocoichi

後輩
28 Jul 2015
For quite some time now I have the "dream" to do some travel in Japan off the beaten track, by packing a tent, a sleeping bag and travel by scooter. It's something I'm planning to do within the next three years.

Does anyone have areas to recommend for this type of travel? I was thinking Hokkaido , Kyushu, Shikoku or less frequented prefectures such as yamaguchi and shimane. I am looking for nice sceneries and small towns.

Other advice is also very welcome.

For quite some time now I have the "dream" to do some travel in Japan off the beaten track, by packing a tent, a sleeping bag and travel by scooter. It's something I'm planning to do within the next three years.

Does anyone have areas to recommend for this type of travel? I was thinking Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikoku or less frequented prefectures such as yamaguchi and shimane. I am looking for nice sceneries and small towns.

Other advice is also very welcome.
I did that on a 250cc motorcycle. I ended up camping less than half the time. I stayed at hostels, even a temple, most of the time. You meet more people that way. But camping was fun too. And with all the onsen and sentou across the country it's probably one of the best countries to do so.

As for where to go, well just about anywhere. There are many scenic, mountainous areas with great views. And there's a whole list of scenic roads to consider.
One place that sticks out as being very unusual are the Tottori sand dunes.

I did that on a 250cc motorcycle. I ended up camping less than half the time. I stayed at hostels, even a temple, most of the time. You meet more people that way. But camping was fun too. And with all the onsen and sentou across the country it's probably one of the best countries to do so.

As for where to go, well just about anywhere. There are many scenic, mountainous areas with great views. And there's a whole list of scenic roads to consider.
One place that sticks out as being very unusual are the Tottori sand dunes.

Yeah I was indeed thinking about sentous. In 2009 I sometimes crashed at an internetcafe where you could shower for an additional 500 yen. Very economical.

Tottori would be a nice option since it's not too far from Osaka for such a trip, however I have large sand dunes 15 minutes from where I live. Yeaterday I saw Niigata rice terraces on tv, they also looked quite appealing. Maybe I should just go multiple weekends to various places!

Did you have any particular bike/scooter in mind?

If I were going to tour around extensively on a scooter, I'd try to find myself a Honda PS250.

Yeah I was indeed thinking about sentous. In 2009 I sometimes crashed at an internetcafe where you could shower for an additional 500 yen. Very economical.
There are lots of historical onsen too that allow single-entry passes. Definitely worth it if you like onsen.

Tottori would be a nice option since it's not too far from Osaka for such a trip, however I have large sand dunes 15 minutes from where I live. Yeaterday I saw Niigata rice terraces on tv, they also looked quite appealing. Maybe I should just go multiple weekends to various places!

I was going to say check out some of the famous roads such as Venus Line. But that's in Nagano so a little out of the way for you. From Osaka, maybe go over Awaji-shima into Kyushu and explore a bit in there.

Did you have any particular bike/scooter in mind?

If I were going to tour around extensively on a scooter, I'd try to find myself a Honda PS250.
Wow that really looks like a great scooter. When I convert my EU car driver license to a Japanese one (when my wife and I move to Japan), can I automatically legally drive this?
There are lots of historical onsen too that allow single-entry passes. Definitely worth it if you like onsen.

I was going to say check out some of the famous roads such as Venus Line. But that's in Nagano so a little out of the way for you. From Osaka, maybe go over Awaji-shima into Kyushu and explore a bit in there.

Please, no limitations! :) that venus line looks amazing, and I'm planning to do this once I move to Japan. I'm sure I can find the time to go to Nagano at some point. If it's really far, I could always fly there and rent a scooter.

Wow that really looks like a great scooter. When I convert my EU car driver license to a Japanese one (when my wife and I move to Japan), can I automatically legally drive this?

A car license in Japan usually covers up to 50cc scooters, but you don't want to be trying to tour around on a 50cc unless it is a character building exercise. I don't know anything about what you can ride when converting from an EU license. You may find it beneficial to go ahead and get any two-wheeled licenses you might need in Japan while you are still in Europe. It would probably save you some time, money, and hassle.

The most appealing thing about the PS250, to me, is that the rear seat is highly adjustable and can be converted into a backrest when riding solo.

Post-retirement, I've wondered about buying a 50cc supercub there in hokkaido, touring on it, and selling when I leave.

Maybe someday.

I agree with Mike, you should consider getting a motorcycle license now. That will keep your options open. A 50cc scooter is very limiting. Or you could tour by car with your wife.
I got my motorcycle license in Japan which worked out fine, just costly that's all.

Japan is pretty compact, there'd be no need to fly most anywhere. Typically we'd take the freeway to get to where we'd want to go and do our bike touring from there. Tokyo to Niiagata & Sado Island for example.

To the extent that this bears on the OP, I'm looking at 50cc as an alternative to a bicycle.

I'd far prefer to cycle, but I'm older and now have some hip issues that may not allow that. I circled hokkaido about 20 yrs ago with a minivan & bike in the back, and am simply entertaining possibilities.

@Mike Cash how much would that license be in Japan roughly?

In Holland I would pay approximately 5000 yen per hour of lessons, and about 30.000 yen for the exam. With an estimate of 20 hours of needed lessons, I would pay 130.000 yen here.

@mdchachi yes I could go by car and take my wife, but to quote Peter Cetera from Chicago: "everybody needs a little time away, from eachother". A scenery is best soked up when alone and in peace ;)

A license of a motorcycle is classified by the size of the exhaust of a motorcycle.
Many people go to a driving school to get licence of a motorcycle. There is a price difference in the more or less by the area, but the market price of the necessary cost is 100,000 yen-about 200,000 yen with the person who doesn't have 70,000 yen-100,000 yen with the person who usually has a license (four-wheel license) at a driving school.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom