What's new

Scared I am 'Otaku'

Rich303

後輩
31 Mar 2005
Hi all,

I've been a bit worried that I have this 'condition'.

I've had an interest in Japan for a large part of my life which has intensified in the last few years - partly fuelled by my love of Japanese film.
I've become fascinated by the Japanese aesthetic and originality of ideas.
However, I'm not into J-pop, I have a fairly basic knowledge of anime/manga, and I don't go around with a T-shirt which says; "Looking for a Japanese girlfriend" in Kanji, although I can't deny that I really like Japanese ladies!
I have similar obsessive tendancies with other places - such as the cutting edge Techno scene in Berlin and other German cities, or Reggae and Dub music, but I take most of my interests to this level.
I am hoping my job with NHK should give me more of a realistic view of Japan and it's people, as soon I am meeting my penpal (my first trip to Japan).
I don't want her to think I'm just another Otaku geek-boy, as I think I have more to offer.

you're not into jpop, not a hardcore anime/manga person, you don't have a tshirt saying "looking for a japanese girlfriend"... sound pretty normal to me... in fact what's wrong with you? you should try to be more of a freak :p

otaku refers to hardcore anime/manga people only anyway, so you're not an otaku.

Message for Okaeri Man

Wow!, there are some nice people using this forum.

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I thought Otaku was a more general term refering to undesireable Japan obsessive types.
And don't worry, I am as freaky as you like, but I sometimes take a while to reveal it!...Mushrooms and David Lynch anyone!...da R

dont care what other people think of you to much, do what you like,, its good you have something that you really like!!!! some people dont like anything, or dont have a life at all!!!!

love japan, enjoy life, do what you want..... but dont be to selfish!!!

greetings baaaaaaka dutchie

you sound like a cool person - you shouldn't worry about being an otaku! (But skip the 'looking for a japanese girlfriend' T-shirt... 😌 ) Have fun in Japan!! 👍

isayhello said:
(But skip the 'looking for a japanese girlfriend' T-shirt... 😌 )
jesus, how long am I gonna get flacked for that one? :eek:

meeeh, I can take it. yello rich, stick around on the forum, you never know what you'll find.

she would blindly ignore your manga stack and anime posters aslong as you dont ramble on about them or really tal kabout them at all, and dont mention otaku...ever.

also i have a t-shirt that says "beware of perverts" in japanese, ripped off of a train sign or something, but i hide it away when my japanese g/f is around just to be safe =P.

you dont sound like an otaku, liking japanese film isnt really up there with anime/manga obsession.

i used to be obsessed with anime, then it was japanese history, now im just like "another country really".

so just be yourself man, and dont worry.

lol if you do have any inkling for jpop find out songs you like and then when you ask people about jpop rattle off heaps of names of popular bands, believe me in the last week it has impressed countless amounts of girls.

Rich303 said:
Wow!, there are some nice people using this forum.

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I thought Otaku was a more general term refering to undesireable Japan obsessive types.

As far as I know we don't have a word for those. Goodness knows one would be nice to have, though.

Back
Top Bottom