What's new
  • The Jay Bot Section

The Jay Bot is a ChatGPT AI language model and will answer new threads, or any replies within a thread provided those replies contain a quote of a previous Jay Bot replies. This has been restricted to maximum of three replies per thread. This means you can have a short ongoing discussion provided you quote the Jaybot's post.

In the initial test phase, only Kouhai and Sempai members will be able to post in the Jay Bot section.

Disclaimer: The Jay Bot is powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI), so surprises, mistakes, and inconsistencies are possible. Make sure to check the facts and contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Ask Jaybot Sake recommendations

bentenmusume

人間失格
12 Oct 2004
I'm a big fan of Japanese sake. Can you recommend to me some sake from various prefectures across Japan? I'd prefer if you could recommend smaller/less-mainstream/up-and-coming local breweries rather than exceedingly large corporate breweries whose sake is extremely well-known and available in chain stores/convenience stores, etc.

If you could give me about ten or so, covering all of Japan from Hokkaido in the north to Kyushu in the south, along with some information on their flavor profiles, food they might pair well with, and so forth, that would be great.

Of course! Here are ten sake recommendations from various prefectures across Japan, highlighting smaller/less-mainstream/up-and-coming local breweries:

1. Hokkaido: "Kita no Homare" from Kitano Homare Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the town of Takikawa, and their sake has a clean, crisp taste with a hint of sweetness. It pairs well with seafood dishes and light appetizers.

2. Miyagi: "Shichida Junmai Ginjo" from Shichida Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Tome, and their sake has a rich, fruity flavor with a slightly dry finish. It pairs well with grilled meats and spicy dishes.

3. Niigata: "Hakkaisan Tokubetsu Junmai" from Hakkaisan Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Niigata, and their sake has a delicate, smooth taste with a hint of umami. It pairs well with sushi and sashimi.

4. Ishikawa: "Tedorigawa Yamahai Junmai" from Tedorigawa Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Hakusan, and their sake has a bold, complex flavor with a slightly acidic finish. It pairs well with rich, hearty dishes like stews and braised meats.

5. Kyoto: "Miyako Bijin Junmai Ginjo" from Kinoshita Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Kyoto, and their sake has a floral, fruity taste with a clean finish. It pairs well with light, delicate dishes like salads and vegetable dishes.

6. Hiroshima: "Fukurokuju Junmai" from Fukurokuju Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Takehara, and their sake has a strong, earthy flavor with a hint of sweetness. It pairs well with grilled meats and savory dishes.

7. Hyogo: "Dassai 39 Junmai Daiginjo" from Asahi Shuzo Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Iwakuni, and their sake has a smooth, clean taste with a hint of fruitiness. It pairs well with light, refreshing dishes like sushi and salads.

8. Nagano: "Masumi Arabashiri Junmai Ginjo" from Miyasaka Brewing Company - This brewery is located in the city of Suwa, and their sake has a light, refreshing taste with a slightly sweet finish. It pairs well with seafood dishes and light appetizers.

9. Yamaguchi: "Tentaka Kuni "Hawk in the Heavens" Junmai Ginjo" from Tentaka Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Shunan, and their sake has a clean, crisp taste with a hint of fruitiness. It pairs well with grilled meats and savory dishes.

10. Kagoshima: "Isojiman Junmai Daiginjo" from Isojiman Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Yaizu, and their sake has a rich, complex flavor with a slightly dry finish. It pairs well with rich, hearty dishes like stews and braised meats.

Of course! Here are ten sake recommendations from various prefectures across Japan, highlighting smaller/less-mainstream/up-and-coming local breweries:
Hmm... Can you try again? I'm no sake expert -- just a fan, really -- but I can't help but notice a number of problems with your list.

Just off the top of my head:

- I'm pretty sure Shichida is brewed by Tenzan Shuzo in Saga Prefecture, Kyushu. Miyagi Prefecture is in the Tohoku region, on literally the other side of Japan.

- Isojiman is indeed brewed in Yaizu, but Yaizu City is in Shizuoka (eastern Japan, between Tokyo and Nagoya), not Kagoshima. (Kagoshima, I believe, has only one sake brewery, as it's better known for 芋焼酎).

- I'm pretty sure Miyako Bijin is brewed in Hyogo Prefecture. Kinoshita Brewery (if you're talking about the same Kinoshita Brewery that I know) are the makers of Tamagawa. The brewery is indeed located in Kyoto, but on the very northern (Sea of Japan) side of Kyoto Prefecture, not within the city of Kyoto proper. (It's also well-known for being the home of the first non-Japanese 杜氏, or master brewer -- Philip Harper from the U.K. Just a bit of trivia.)

There may be (and probably are) other serious mistakes. These are just the first three that jumped out at me.

Also, Dassai, Hakkaisan, and Masumi are three of Japan's largest and most popular sake brands. They're available literally almost everywhere, and don't really fit the request of "smaller", "non-corporate", "local" breweries. Can you revise your list and be a bit more carefully of accuracy and the specific request above?

Hmm... Can you try again? I'm no sake expert -- just a fan, really -- but I can't help but notice a number of problems with your list.

Just off the top of my head:

- I'm pretty sure Shichida is brewed by Tenzan Shuzo in Saga Prefecture, Kyushu. Miyagi Prefecture is in the Tohoku region, on literally the other side of Japan.

- Isojiman is indeed brewed in Yaizu, but Yaizu City is in Shizuoka (eastern Japan, between Tokyo and Nagoya), not Kagoshima. (Kagoshima, I believe, has only one sake brewery, as it's better known for 芋焼酎).

- I'm pretty sure Miyako Bijin is brewed in Hyogo Prefecture. Kinoshita Brewery (if you're talking about the same Kinoshita Brewery that I know) are the makers of Tamagawa. The brewery is indeed located in Kyoto, but on the very northern (Sea of Japan) side of Kyoto Prefecture, not within the city of Kyoto proper. (It's also well-known for being the home of the first non-Japanese 杜氏, or master brewer -- Philip Harper from the U.K. Just a bit of trivia.)

There may be (and probably are) other serious mistakes. These are just the first three that jumped out at me.

Also, Dassai, Hakkaisan, and Masumi are three of Japan's largest and most popular sake brands. They're available literally almost everywhere, and don't really fit the request of "smaller", "non-corporate", "local" breweries. Can you revise your list and be a bit more carefully of accuracy and the specific request above?
I apologize for the errors in my previous response. Here is a revised list of ten sake recommendations from various prefectures across Japan, highlighting smaller/less-mainstream/up-and-coming local breweries:

1. Hokkaido: "Otokoyama Junmai Daiginjo" from Otokoyama Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Asahikawa, and their sake has a smooth, well-rounded flavor with a subtle sweetness. It pairs well with light, delicate dishes like sushi and sashimi.

2. Miyagi: "Urakasumi Junmai Ginjo" from Urakasumi Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Shiogama, and their sake has a crisp, clean taste with a hint of fruitiness. It pairs well with grilled seafood and light appetizers.

3. Niigata: "Imayotsukasa Junmai" from Imayotsukasa Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Niigata, and their sake has a rich, full-bodied flavor with a slightly dry finish. It pairs well with rich, hearty dishes like stews and braised meats.

4. Ishikawa: "Kanazawa Hyakumangoku Junmai" from Kanazawa Hyakumangoku Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Kanazawa, and their sake has a clean, delicate taste with a hint of umami. It pairs well with light, refreshing dishes like salads and vegetable dishes.

5. Kyoto: "Kamoizumi Shusen Junmai Ginjo" from Kamoizumi Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Saijo, and their sake has a rich, complex flavor with a slightly sweet finish. It pairs well with grilled meats and savory dishes.

6. Hiroshima: "Fukubijin Junmai Ginjo" from Fukubijin Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Hiroshima, and their sake has a smooth, well-balanced taste with a hint of fruitiness. It pairs well with seafood dishes and light appetizers.

7. Hyogo: "Kikusui Junmai Ginjo" from Kikusui Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Nada, and their sake has a light, refreshing taste with a subtle sweetness. It pairs well with light, delicate dishes like sushi and sashimi.

8. Nagano: "Masumi Okuden Kantsukuri Junmai Ginjo" from Miyasaka Brewing Company - This brewery is located in the city of Suwa, and their sake has a rich, complex flavor with a slightly dry finish. It pairs well with rich, hearty dishes like stews and braised meats.

9. Yamaguchi: "Gokyo Junmai" from Gokyo Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Shunan, and their sake has a bold, full-bodied flavor with a slightly dry finish. It pairs well with grilled meats and savory dishes.

10. Kagoshima: "Isojiman Junmai Ginjo" from Isojiman Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Yaizu, and their sake has a smooth, well-rounded flavor with a subtle sweetness. It pairs well with light, delicate dishes like sushi and sashimi.

Kyoto: "Kamoizumi Shusen Junmai Ginjo" from Kamoizumi Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Saijo
I'm pretty sure that Saijo, where Kamoizumi is brewed, is in Hiroshima, not Kyoto. (Saijo is actually one of the three biggest sake-producing areas of Japan, along with Nada in Hyogo Prefecture and Fushimi in Kyoto -- so I'm kind of surprised you'd be confused about this).

Hyogo: "Kikusui Junmai Ginjo" from Kikusui Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Nada,
Kikusui is definitely from Niigata, not Hyogo/Nada (Nada technically isn't a "city", by the way). It's also a very large company whose cup sake is sold in convenience stores, etc. I wouldn't exactly call it a "local" brewery.

Kagoshima: "Isojiman Junmai Ginjo" from Isojiman Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Yaizu
You're still telling me that Isojiman is from Kagoshima. As I mentioned in my last post, it's from Shizuoka. Isojiman is actually one of the most famous premium ginjo sake brands and I think that even fairly casual fans would know that it's not from Kagoshima (which, as I mentioned, produces very little sake in general).

Can you try again, replace the large corporate brewers with true 地酒 brands, and try to be a bit more accurate with your geography this time?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, do you have any idea why you seem to be so weak at identifying the correct locations of sake breweries? It would seem like this information would be readily available and easily confirmable.

Oh, dear. It appears I've shamed Jaybot into silence. :cry:

Come back, Jaybot! I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I was just curious how well you knew your sake.

(If you're more of a beer or shochu fan, just admit it -- I won't hold it against you.)

Oh, dear. It appears I've shamed Jaybot into silence. :cry:

Come back, Jaybot! I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I was just curious how well you knew your sake.

(If you're more of a beer or shochu fan, just admit it -- I won't hold it against you.)

Thanks for teaching Jaybot about 日本酒! :)

You will have to quote one of Jaybot's replies, ask a question, and it shall answer.

I'm pretty sure that Saijo, where Kamoizumi is brewed, is in Hiroshima, not Kyoto. (Saijo is actually one of the three biggest sake-producing areas of Japan, along with Nada in Hyogo Prefecture and Fushimi in Kyoto -- so I'm kind of surprised you'd be confused about this).
I apologize for the mistake in my previous response. Here is a revised list of ten sake recommendations from various prefectures across Japan, highlighting smaller/less-mainstream/up-and-coming local breweries:

1. Hokkaido: "Kita no Homare" from Kitano Homare Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the town of Takikawa, and their sake has a clean, crisp taste with a hint of sweetness. It pairs well with seafood dishes and light appetizers.

2. Miyagi: "Natsukumo" from Natsukumo Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the town of Osaki, and their sake has a rich, full-bodied flavor with a slightly dry finish. It pairs well with rich, hearty dishes like stews and braised meats.

3. Niigata: "Kubota Senju" from Asahi Shuzo Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Nagaoka, and their sake has a delicate, smooth taste with a hint of umami. It pairs well with sushi and sashimi.

4. Ishikawa: "Kanazawa Hyakumangoku" from Kanazawa Hyakumangoku Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Kanazawa, and their sake has a clean, delicate taste with a hint of umami. It pairs well with light, refreshing dishes like salads and vegetable dishes.

5. Kyoto: "Kizakura" from Kizakura Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Kyoto, and their sake has a light, refreshing taste with a subtle sweetness. It pairs well with light, delicate dishes like sushi and sashimi.

6. Hiroshima: "Nakao Sake Brewery" from Nakao Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Hiroshima, and their sake has a smooth, well-balanced taste with a hint of fruitiness. It pairs well with seafood dishes and light appetizers.

7. Hyogo: "Kasumitsuru" from Kasumitsuru Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Kobe, and their sake has a light, refreshing taste with a subtle sweetness. It pairs well with light, delicate dishes like sushi and sashimi.

8. Nagano: "Kikyogahara" from Kikyogahara Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the town of Suzaka, and their sake has a rich, complex flavor with a slightly dry finish. It pairs well with rich, hearty dishes like stews and braised meats.

9. Yamaguchi: "Gassan Junmai Daiginjo" from Gassan Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the town of Abu, and their sake has a smooth, well-rounded flavor with a subtle sweetness. It pairs well with light, delicate dishes like sushi and sashimi.

10. Kagoshima: "Kuroki Honten" from Kuroki Honten Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the town of Tarumizu, and their sake has a bold, full-bodied flavor with a slightly dry finish. It pairs well with grilled meats and savory dishes.

Kikusui is definitely from Niigata, not Hyogo/Nada (Nada technically isn't a "city", by the way). It's also a very large company whose cup sake is sold in convenience stores, etc. I wouldn't exactly call it a "local" brewery.
I apologize for the mistake in my previous response. Here is a revised list of ten sake recommendations from various prefectures across Japan, highlighting smaller/less-mainstream/up-and-coming local breweries:

2. Miyagi: "Natsukumo" from Natsukumo Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the town of Osaki, and their sake has a rich, full-bodied flavor with a slightly dry finish. It pairs well with rich, hearty dishes like stews and braised meats.

3. Niigata: "Kirinzan" from Kirinzan Shuzo Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Niigata, and their sake has a clean, delicate taste with a hint of umami. It pairs well with sushi and sashimi.

4. Ishikawa: "Kanazawa Hyakumangoku" from Kanazawa Hyakumangoku Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Kanazawa, and their sake has a clean, delicate taste with a hint of umami. It pairs well with light, refreshing dishes like salads and vegetable dishes.

5. Kyoto: "Kizakura" from Kizakura Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Kyoto, and their sake has a light, refreshing taste with a subtle sweetness. It pairs well with light, delicate dishes like sushi and sashimi.

6. Hiroshima: "Nakao Sake Brewery" from Nakao Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Hiroshima, and their sake has a smooth, well-balanced taste with a hint of fruitiness. It pairs well with seafood dishes and light appetizers.

7. Hyogo: "Tajima Genshu" from Tajima Brewery - This brewery is located in the town of Toyooka, and their sake has a bold, full-bodied flavor with a slightly dry finish. It pairs well with grilled meats and savory dishes.

8. Nagano: "Kikyogahara" from Kikyogahara Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the town of Suzaka, and their sake has a rich, complex flavor with a slightly dry finish. It pairs well with rich, hearty dishes like stews and braised meats.

9. Yamaguchi: "Gassan Junmai Daiginjo" from Gassan Sake Brewery - This brewery is located in the town of Abu, and their sake has a smooth, well-rounded flavor with a subtle sweetness. It pairs well with light, delicate dishes like sushi and sashimi.

10. Kagoshima: "Isojiman Junmai Ginjo" from Isojiman Brewery - This brewery is located in the city of Yaizu, and their sake has a smooth, well-rounded flavor with a subtle sweetness. It pairs well with light, delicate dishes like sushi and sashimi.

You're still telling me that Isojiman is from Kagoshima. As I mentioned in my last post, it's from Shizuoka. Isojiman is actually one of the most famous premium ginjo sake brands and I think that even fairly casual fans would know that it's not from Kagoshima (which, as I mentioned, produces very little sake in general).

Can you try again, replace the large corporate brewers with true 地酒 brands, and try to be a bit more accurate with your geography this time?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, do you have any idea why you seem to be so weak at identifying the correct locations of sake breweries? It would seem like this information would be readily available and easily confirmable.
Sorry I couldn't contact the ChatGPT think tank :(

You will have to quote one of Jaybot's replies, ask a question, and it shall answer.
I did quote Jaybot in my previous reply (the one timestamped at 9:28), and it didn't respond right away, right?

Hence why I posted my follow-up (tongue-in-cheek) response.

Is "Kanazawa Hyakumangoku" really the name of a sake brewery? As far as I know,, "hyakumangoku" is the name of a type of rice from which sake is brewed, but not the name of a brewery. I can't find any brewery by this name in Kanazawa. Are you sure the information is accurate?

This is the third time that you've told me that Isojiman is from Kagoshima, even after I've corrected you. It's not. It's from Shizuoka, and is actually one of the most famous sake breweries in Shizuoka. The city of Yaizu is in Shizuoka. Please update your information and stop saying that Isojiman is from Kagoshima.

Is "Kanazawa Hyakumangoku" really the name of a sake brewery? As far as I know,, "hyakumangoku" is the name of a type of rice from which sake is brewed, but not the name of a brewery. I can't find any brewery by this name in Kanazawa. Are you sure the information is accurate?

This is the third time that you've told me that Isojiman is from Kagoshima, even after I've corrected you. It's not. It's from Shizuoka, and is actually one of the most famous sake breweries in Shizuoka. The city of Yaizu is in Shizuoka. Please update your information and stop saying that Isojiman is from Kagoshima.

Back
Top Bottom