What's new

sake lees

Haivart

先輩
15 Dec 2002
My local Japanese grocery is now carrying sake lees, but I haven't bought it because I don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Haivart,

Sake lees (sake-kasu) can be used in a number of ways, of which the following is the most popular:

Kasuzuke: The following link shows you the Hawaiian version of the recipe (best because it's explained in English)
http://starbulletin.com/2001/06/20/features/request.html

The "more Japanese" kasuzuke uses a white, sweet miso called "Saikyo-miso" mixed together with sake-kasu and mirin:
ŒF'ò‰h—˜Žq'g'oq'¦'è'±'³'ñ'̃XƒyƒVƒƒƒ‹ƒŒƒVƒsrŽ©•ª'Åì'éu""'Ð'¯£
Though written in Japanese, the basic procedure is the same here. (You'll be able to figure it out from the photos.) The difference is only in the ingredients used in marinade paste--sake-kasu, Saikyo-miso and mirin mixed into a paste. Add mirin to sake-kasu to soften it up and add Saikyo-miso to taste. The paste can be used up to 4 times to marinate fish slices.

Instant "amazake (sweet rice wine)" using sake-kasu:
Heat sake-kasu and water in a sauce pan until sake kasu dissolves completely. Add a sprinke of sugar to taste.

Please note that opinion is split on whether sake-kasu tastes good. Some like it; others hate it. I like kasuzuke, but my family doesn't.

You'll have to try and find out! 😌

西京焼

epigene said:
Haivart said:
Any suggestions?
The paste can be used up to 4 times to marinate fish slices.
Black cod seems somehow the most popular choice in the US.

It actually works great for any meat too, pork loin for instance.

Back
Top Bottom