What's new

Resign within 2 weeks of work. Is it normal?

Jack of trades

Registered
7 Feb 2021
Last month I got a new job and this week is my 2nd week working here. My impression of this company was really good.
In my 1st week of work, I did not do so much things. I pretty much learning to understand my role by myself-by reading all the emails that were forwarded to me.
This week is kinda tiring, my manager gave me some company's profile that I need to read and understand. They said that I need to understand the company well and our products (I understand about this kind of introduction thing, and I have done it my my previous jobs).

After that they set me a time to do a "test" in front of them, I need to explain what I have read.
I did prepare all the things, however it turned to be a trash. I tried my best, however all they said was "incorrect" and "incorrect" in every my explanation. After they commented my explanation, they told me the right things, but I found that we had the same points- we just had different words to speak.
Plus, if I could well explain it, they asked me with some questions I never expected, and questions that bit out of my role, and it all made me feel stupid with all of those denials and questions. They simply wanted me to explain precisely like what they said. And it was exhausting.
Some days ago an assistant of my manager all of sudden called me on zoom and throw me another questions and i was like "what the **** is it?". He did not notify me before, literally called me on zoom and throw me questions and asked me to answered right at that time.

I started to realize that this is not healthy, and I really don't fit to this environment. I like the role, but not the style of my superiors handle the staffs.
I told some of my colleagues about it and asked some tips to overcome this working style, but what they did was only encouraged me to be patient and they told me that I would like to enjoy working here. I found their suggestions were annoying, how could I enjoy working with people that made me uncomfortable in the beginning.

I have plan to resign within this week, with fact that I have just started working here. What do you think about this?
Is it normal to quit job this fast?

Ps: my boss is not a Japanese.

Last month I got a new job and this week is my 2nd week working here. My impression of this company was really good.
In my 1st week of work, I did not do so much things. I pretty much learning to understand my role by myself-by reading all the emails that were forwarded to me.
This week is kinda tiring, my manager gave me some company's profile that I need to read and understand. They said that I need to understand the company well and our products (I understand about this kind of introduction thing, and I have done it my my previous jobs).

After that they set me a time to do a "test" in front of them, I need to explain what I have read.
I did prepare all the things, however it turned to be a trash. I tried my best, however all they said was "incorrect" and "incorrect" in every my explanation. After they commented my explanation, they told me the right things, but I found that we had the same points- we just had different words to speak.
Plus, if I could well explain it, they asked me with some questions I never expected, and questions that bit out of my role, and it all made me feel stupid with all of those denials and questions. They simply wanted me to explain precisely like what they said. And it was exhausting.
Some days ago an assistant of my manager all of sudden called me on zoom and throw me another questions and i was like "what the **** is it?". He did not notify me before, literally called me on zoom and throw me questions and asked me to answered right at that time.

I started to realize that this is not healthy, and I really don't fit to this environment. I like the role, but not the style of my superiors handle the staffs.
I told some of my colleagues about it and asked some tips to overcome this working style, but what they did was only encouraged me to be patient and they told me that I would like to enjoy working here. I found their suggestions were annoying, how could I enjoy working with people that made me uncomfortable in the beginning.

I have plan to resign within this week, with fact that I have just started working here. What do you think about this?
Is it normal to quit job this fast?

Ps: my boss is not a Japanese.
Sure it's normal. It happens all the time. However it could reflect badly on you. Your next employer may be doubtful about your capabilities or reliability. On the other hand the period is so short you could probably avoid not telling them about this job at all.

Yeah, if you do decide to resign, would leave this off the resume. Having a gig for less than a month on your resume will raise more questions than you'll want to answer. It also goes along with being careful about how you talk about former employers, as the people interviewing you are more likely to identify with them than with you.

Don't know.. sounds like hard work but if you keep it up a bit longer you might learn a lot and gain experience in various ways.

Yeah, if you do decide to resign, would leave this off the resume. Having a gig for less than a month on your resume will raise more questions than you'll want to answer. It also goes along with being careful about how you talk about former employers, as the people interviewing you are more likely to identify with them than with you.
Thanks for this :) I just can't stand with the working style here and bad leadership skills of my manager. The fact that it is only a small and new start company made me a bit confused to quit because only 2 people work in my role. Last night I messaged my manager and told him my concerns, I asked him some suggestions and I hoped those could help me cope this situation so I could a little longer stay here and discover another things. However his response was so disappointing, he did not give any suggestions or solutions- and he said that all what he did was for staff's self-development (he always think he is the most righteous one, like what?). That cooperative way didn't work, and I will tell him I quit.

a bad fit is a bad fit, there's no shame in doing what's right for you and moving forward. I wish you luck in this!

Thanks for this :) I just can't stand with the working style here and bad leadership skills of my manager. The fact that it is only a small and new start company made me a bit confused to quit because only 2 people work in my role. Last night I messaged my manager and told him my concerns, I asked him some suggestions and I hoped those could help me cope this situation so I could a little longer stay here and discover another things. However his response was so disappointing, he did not give any suggestions or solutions- and he said that all what he did was for staff's self-development (he always think he is the most righteous one, like what?). That cooperative way didn't work, and I will tell him I quit.
It sounds like a very unpleasant workplace you are in, and I do sympathise - I've been in the same position. If you do decide to quit, be very diplomatic about your reasons, however much you want to tell them what shits they are. Before quitting, you may wish to consider what you may gain in learning and self-development by staying on. For example, if you are undergoing structured training for a job you wish to do in the future, it may be worth completing their training program and treat the job as paid training.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom