What's new

Pros to working for AEON?

pony25

後輩
16 Jun 2010
I have been reading so many mixed reviews on working for companies such as AEON. I am very eager to teach in Japan solely for the experience of working abroad for a year. I would defintely have gone for the JET programme but I'm a little stuck as the application process seems pretty long and the next one only begins in September. I'm hoping to be able to go as soon as possible so hearing the poor reviews for AEON is a bit disconcerting! :?

You are hearing mixed review because everywhere is different. Different people, different clients, different managers, all with different opinions and perceptions on what is good or not. Think of like working at a fast food chain, or Walmart or something. Your experience could be great or crappy just based on the people you work with or your manager.

In any case your life will be what you make of it, and hey if you only are planning on one year, and not banking anything important in your future on this, then, well who really cares? Just come, live, work and make the best of it. I can tell you that your happiness will be 80% up to you.

AEON usually gets pretty high marks for the big 4 eikaiwa. Aside from some issue with housing, what have you heard that is so disconcerting?

Also, if you can't come here to look around, you are very limited to employers.

Thanks so much for your responses!

Things that have been disconcerting were people seemed to have had issues with work hours and free time. I'm fine with working, that's what I'm looking for...but I'm hoping to still be able to have some freedom to do stuff on days off (I'm assuming they don't make you work 7 days a week??). I'm hoping to be able to make friends and experience the culture as well as working.

Housing is a bit of a scary issue for me, and it seems to be a hit or miss so I won't worry about that now.

does anyone have any tips/advice on getting a job on my own over there? Financially, that seems really hard for me to do right now.

You are hearing mixed review because everywhere is different. Different people, different clients, different managers, all with different opinions and perceptions on what is good or not. Think of like working at a fast food chain, or Walmart or something. Your experience could be great or crappy just based on the people you work with or your manager.

In any case your life will be what you make of it, and hey if you only are planning on one year, and not banking anything important in your future on this, then, well who really cares? Just come, live, work and make the best of it. I can tell you that your happiness will be 80% up to you.

I completely agree with you

Thanks so much for your responses!
Things that have been disconcerting were people seemed to have had issues with work hours and free time.
Like what? You work 5-6 days a week (legally they only have to give you 1 day per week off, but many places give 2; they just don't always happen to be consecutive or Sat/Sun; you learn to live with that, as in eikaiwa you work when the students can come). As far as hours go, they are usually noonish to 9pm. Pretty standard everywhere. Not sure if you can swap hours with coworkers, but it's possible at some places.

I think a lot of complaints come from people who don't do enough basic research to learn what eikaiwa is all about. It's a job/business, not something set up to give foreigners a chance to party.

does anyone have any tips/advice on getting a job on my own over there? Financially, that seems really hard for me to do right now.
1. Come at a good time.
2. Bring US$4000-5000 with you to tide you over until you get a job and land that first paycheck.
3. Scour the ads ahead of time, and contact prospective leads before you land to shorten time upon arrival and to notify them that you are actually going to be in the country and available for interviews at a specific time. Remember that the market here is flooded, so you have a lot of competition already established.

I was soured to AEON during their interview process. The interviewers stressed that there was a sales component to the job, in which you have to sell the materials to the students. Also, when you had no classes, they said you had to go out and promote the school by handing out fliers and what not.

I understand it's a business, but that's not why I was applying.

Like what? You work 5-6 days a week (legally they only have to give you 1 day per week off, but many places give 2; they just don't always happen to be consecutive or Sat/Sun; you learn to live with that, as in eikaiwa you work when the students can come). As far as hours go, they are usually noonish to 9pm. Pretty standard everywhere. Not sure if you can swap hours with coworkers, but it's possible at some places.
I think a lot of complaints come from people who don't do enough basic research to learn what eikaiwa is all about. It's a job/business, not something set up to give foreigners a chance to party.
1. Come at a good time.
2. Bring US$4000-5000 with you to tide you over until you get a job and land that first paycheck.
3. Scour the ads ahead of time, and contact prospective leads before you land to shorten time upon arrival and to notify them that you are actually going to be in the country and available for interviews at a specific time. Remember that the market here is flooded, so you have a lot of competition already established.

Thanks! Also, how do things go if you need to leave before the end of your contract? This is not really something I want to ask during the interview process... :S But just in case, at least I will know!

Glenski did a nice job answering a lot of your questions already but I thought I would share some of my own experiences with you re: AEON.

I worked for them as an E.T. ("Emergency Teacher") way back in 2004 I think based out of their Chubu Honbu office in Nagoya. I had already had a few years in Japan under my belt working as an ALT in Sapporo a few years before. I suppose that's why I was bumped up to an ET instead of your usual branch school teacher (ETs get a higher salary, a monthly per diem when staying in hotels, and are based out of the head office and work there when not on assignment, etc).

My apartment was an old Leo Palace 21 dig which while small, was clean and conveniently located only 12 minutes from Nagoya station. Tbh I rarely spent much time in my own apt. due to work assignments so for me the lack of a spacious living space was not so much a priority for me. As an ET I went on assignment to 17 different branch schools during my one year employment. Chubu Honbu oversaw 55 different branch schools at that time, most in the Aichi-ken area. Sometimes my assignements would be for a day or two sometimes for a couple weeks but I rarely stayed longer than one month in any given location.

For me, I actually enjoyed that aspect... I got to meet a LOT of different people and the "AEON method" of teaching wasnt such a bore because I always had new students to work with. As a potential branch school teacher though who is employed at a single location... I suspect it really could be hit or miss... depends on the staff and management of the school you get stuck with lol. To be fair though most of the Japanese staff I encountered were always great to be around and that goes a long ways towards making your work environment a good one.

One of the major drawbacks as an ET though is the time expected of you... Some assignments for me were rather far... and I had to take a shinkansen (bullet train) on several occasions. As an ET you are a representative of Honbu, the head office which meant:

A) Your lessons had to better than everyone else (lol). This was actually stressed to me on several occasions by the head trainer.

B) No showing up late for work. EVER. No cutting out early before end of shift, etc etc. I was expected to be the first one there, the best one in the classroom, and the last one to leave along with the school manager. None of this was ever really an issue for me, just par for the course really.

C) No badmouthing the company or its employees to anyone, ever including other teachers, staff, students, etc... (lol yeah right)

All in all I actually enjoyed my experience with AEON as an ET. They offered to renew my contract after the first year with a nice little bonus on top but I had already set in motion my plans for opening up my own school by then. So bottom line I suppose is if you think you might enjoy working as an ET instead of a branch school teacher, consider letting your recruiters know. The benefits of being in a single location though are pretty good too... you can make longlasting friends, establish good relationships with people, and generally be more involved in the community you live in as opposed to an ET who rarely stays longer than one month in any given location. Anyways, just wanted to share some of my experiences, whatever you decide best of luck to you.

Thanks! Also, how do things go if you need to leave before the end of your contract? This is not really something I want to ask during the interview process... :S But just in case, at least I will know!
I don't know what AEON states in its contract. The law is somewhat clear and vague at the same time. Figure 30 days notice is enough in the first year, 2 weeks' notice thereafter.

If they fire you, they owe you 30 days' pay or notice, whichever they prefer.

Back
Top Bottom