What's new

Raw horse flesh ice cream??

SakuraPixie

後輩
11 Feb 2006
According to this website,
In 2004, The Japanese Ice Cream Association promoted ツ"raw horse fleshツ" ice cream in hopes that it would boost the popularity of ice cream!
Is that true? ☝

「馬刺しアイス」…日本の珍アイス大集合記事が海外で話題に (2004年6月30日) - エキサイトニュース
It's in Japanese, but it refers to the basashi icecream you're asking about. Yes, it's real, but you most likely won't find it at your local grocer!

I don't know if it promoted to get people to like icecream more or not, but it's not as strange in Japanese as it sounds in English.

Incidentally, in parts of Japan, "raw horse flesh" is a delicacy. I have had it on several occasions, and it's pretty good.

Even if this was true, it definitely wouldn't boost the popularity of ice cream.
It just sounds too weird.

Of course, Gaijinian! The words that one uses are just as important (or even more so) than the actual message itself.

Whoever made up that translation obviously wanted a reaction, and apparently s/he was sucessful.

Savory ice creams are quite common in japan, besides horse ice cream you can also get such noveltys as octopus, chicken, cactus, crab, eel, fish, shrimp and wasabi ice cream etc- no kidding!

Japanese Ice Creams

I dunno about you guys, but eating savory ice cream just seems a bit weird to me, i always associated it with sweet stuff and not things like horses and fish... :gohan: :gohan: :shiver: :atsui:

Wasabi soft ice cream is eaten at Japanese many sightseeing spots.
It is the same as green tea soft ice cream visually.
I am shocked on a nose if I ate mouthful, it.
...Because it is sold at many places, I think that it is popular.

I'd like to try savoury ice cream, out of curiousity. :liplick:
Although I must admit, that when i followed the first link given, i thought it was a joke.

Cactus ice cream? Mmmmm... I'd give that one a try... :D

Wow, there really is BASASHI in that ice cream. I thought it would be artificial flavors or something... And "Wine?!" Hmm, odd...

Back
Top Bottom