What's new

raw egg

17 Jul 2007
I would like to try some Japanese dishes with raw egg. For example, for breakfast, raw egg poured over rice with some natto. However, I live in the USA, and I heard that some eggs aren't safe to eat raw. Are there any "special" eggs that I can get that are safe? I may try an asian market.:)

I would like to try some Japanese dishes with raw egg. For example, for breakfast, raw egg poured over rice with some natto. However, I live in the USA, and I heard that some eggs aren't safe to eat raw. Are there any "special" eggs that I can get that are safe? I may try an asian market.:)

Its not an American thing - all eggs are at risk of possibly having bacteria (apparently 1/10,000). For healthy adults the risk is fairly low if you do get a "bad" egg, but for young children, the elderly or pregnany women the risk is higher and its recommended not to eat eggs raw.

Theres no such thing as "special" eggs, simply buy grade A/AA eggs, keep them refridgerated, and you'll be fine.

Wash any egg in warm soapy water and it should be safe to eat raw. Just don't wash your eggs days in advance as they will rot faster if you do that.

Sukiyaki, which is simmered beef, vegetable, udon/soba and various other things dipped in raw egg, is delicious. I've eaten it many many times throughout my life since my mother makes it and so do my relatives. I have never caught a bad meal from any of them.

When I was in highschool on the other hand, I got it into my head that raw eggs like Rocky from the boxing movies would be a good idea, so in an attempt to pack protein into my diet I ate a bunch of raw eggs in the mornings. That was alright at first, but one day I did catch a bad one and had a stomach bug for the next 2 months.

So it's really a bit of a gamble, but my experience tells me that if properly washed and prepared it shouldn't be a problem. If you just crack them open and drink them that may be a problem. Also my mother only does sukiyaki with fresh eggs, I don't know that it actually makes a difference whether they're 2 weeks or 2 days away from their expiry date, but she buys fresh ones strictly for sukiyaki.

The main point is the refridgeration - if they are kept cool then bacteria will not be able to form. You will hit a bad one eventually if you eat enough of them raw, but like I said - 1 in 10,000 ;)

It's my understanding that the main problem is the salmonella that's on the outside of the shell and mixes with the egg when you crack it open, so I believe that you can greatly reduce your chances of getting sick from raw eggs if you wash the eggs before you open them.

I'm also told that in Japan, eggs are washed before they are packaged and sent to stores, which is why they have such early expiration dates, but I am a little more dubious about that bit.

Raw eggs can be perfectly fine as long a they are kept refrigerated until use and washed before use. I remember many years ago going to the Orange Julius at the mall and being able to get a raw egg in my Julius. (they wont let them anymore).

Back
Top Bottom