What's new

Ration jar

jeeplover

Sempai
Donor
25 May 2019
i thought this was cool . i have never seen one. are these common in japan? i would think there is a need for this in post war japan.

Attachments

• jar 1.jpg
    jar 1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 113
  • jar 2.jpg
    jar 2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 116
  • jar 3.jpg
    jar 3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 114
  • jar 4.jpg
    jar 4.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 108
  • jar 5.jpg
    jar 5.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 110
  • jar 6.jpg
    jar 6.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 99
  • jar 7.jpg
    jar 7.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 114
  • jar 8.jpg
    jar 8.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 95
  • jar 9.jpg
    jar 9.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 106
  • jar 10.jpg
    jar 10.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 115
  • jar 11.jpg
    jar 11.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 121
  • jar 12.jpg
    jar 12.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 128
i thought this was cool . i have never seen one. are these common in japan? i would think there is a need for this in post war japan.
防衛食 literally means "defense food" which I guess, indeed, means rations. Looks like it contained lard (防).
The part with the arrows says something like if the seal is removed it's empty. Or remove the seal between the arrows to indicate it's empty.
The part on the side next to the defense food looks like the company name (Japan Air Defense Food-something) and company's president's name?
As for being common, certainly not now. They are a plastic-everything society now just like everywhere else.

here is the description i got on it.

100% ORIGINAL & AUTHENTIC. VERY RARE! VERY GOOD CONDITION WW2 JAPANESE AIR DEFENSE FOOD RATIONS JAR. STATED ON THE JAR "DAI NIPPON AIR DEFENSE FOOD, PATENT VACUUM SEAL". IT IS ALL CERAMIC. THE TOP STATES TO HIT WITH A NAIL IN THE DEPRESSION TO OPEN, BREAKING THE VACUUM. THIS ONE WAS OBVIOUSLY OPENED DIFFERENTLY, MOST LIKELY WITH A KNIFE OR SCREWDRIVER BETWEEN THE TOP AND BOTTOM. I AM ASSUMING PEOPLE DID THAT IN ORDER TO TO REUSE THE CONTAINER. MEASURES 10 X 8.5 CENTIMETERS.

i like to collect things like this it is different and not everyone has one. i feel like there are just collectables that everyone has to have for japanese collecting everyone wants a flag and a sword for German a helmet and luger armband flag.

As explained in the following page, it's a substitute for canned emergency food.

防衛食容器は非常食用缶詰の代用品

Also, in the following blog, the writer found 防15, and guessed that 防20 or so might exist.

As you might know, there was a shortage of metal in Japan during the war, so ceramics were used instead. There were many ceramic goods like iron (for pressing clothes), kettle, cutlery (knife, fork, spoon, etc.), button (of clothes) or even grenade.

very cool very good info. so my defense number is 5. the numbers go to 20. they are not sure how high they go. these were made after the war but it was called national food. this is why I love these sites this info is not in English. thank you so so much Toritoribe

i translated the page if someone wants a copy i will email it to you just pm and ask thank you. it was translated using google translate everything makes sense nothing translated weird. this is very good info hardly ever seen. again Toritoribe Thank you

Back
Top Bottom