What's new

QUIET Seaside Town for Holiday

Heijoshin

Registered
2 May 2014
Hi-

We're spending five days in Japan in mid-September. First night in Tokyo, then we're thinking of heading out on a train to the northwest, and staying somewhere along the coast.

We'd like someplace quiet, on the Sea of Japan, staying in a small mom & pop hotel, and eating local cuisine, especially seafood. Small shops for buying local crafts or specialties would be nice.

An onsen would also be nice, but a regular spa would do. We like trees, so a walk in the forest would be great.

Sushi is mandatory.

Having said all this, we're open to suggestions based on your experiences.

Not interested in tours or other tourists, hotel chains or big restaurants. I guess remote/cozy would be descriptive of what we're looking for.

Exception to above: "tours" of sake makers or blade smiths would be of interest.

Thanks!

If by north-west you mean Ishikawa or Toyama, you should consider the Noto Peninsula. Lots of lovely coastal towns, but it can get a bit crowded on holidays or long weekends. Since you have only five days why don't you stay closer to Tokyo, e.g. the Izu Peninsula?

Thanks, I'll look into that. A six hour drive is too much to Noto.

And, wow, I had no idea that a 3 hour train ride (Kanazawa) was $125/person. For $500, we'll stay around Tokyo.

Anyplace an hour or less outside Tokyo you could recommend?

And, wow, I had no idea that a 3 hour train ride (Kanazawa) was $125/person. For $500, we'll stay around Tokyo.

That would be your typical shinkansen fare.

Anyplace an hour or less outside Tokyo you could recommend?

If it's about sleepy fishing villages you could explore the Miura Peninsula just south of Yokohama. It takes about 90 minutes from Tokyo Station to Misaki. The east coast of Chiba also offers a lot of scenic spots (around Katsuura for instance), but it's a bit more difficult to reach by public transportation.

Yep, that's a possibility. Except I spent a lot of time working at Yokosuka, so I was thinking of something new.

I'll study up on Kasuura this weekend.

Thanks!

If you could tolerate an overnight bus there and back, you could significantly reduce travel costs.

Prices vary day by day, but in mid-September, you could get from Tokyo to, for example, the Noto peninsula for as cheap as 4600 yen (about US$41) per person, one way. That trip departs late at night and requires more than 9 hours, though.

If you avoid traveling on a Friday, the most expensive price in mid-September is US$59 per person, one way.

If you are able to sleep well on a bus, it would even save you two nights of lodging, there and back.

http://夜行バス案内所.com/search/tokyo_ishikawa/tokyo_noto/

Back
Top Bottom