What's new

Questions about suru-verbs and に行きます sentence structure

Hubert Hung

後輩
9 Aug 2017
First, I've a question about suru-verbs. Are these two the same: 勉強をします and 勉強します

And, I've just learned that in a sentence structure with [suru-verb]に行きます
But I wonder, are these three sentences identical: 学校へ勉強しに行きます、学校へ勉強をしに行きます、 and 学校へ勉強に行きます

Also, I've learned that verbs such as サッカー、野球 that can be connected with をします can also be added to the structure.
So, are these two sentences identical too: 学校へサッカーをしに行きます and 学校へサッカーに行きます

Are these two the same: 勉強をします and 勉強します
Yes.

are these three sentences identical: 学校へ勉強しに行きます、学校へ勉強をしに行きます、 and 学校へ勉強に行きます
The first two are the same. 学校へ勉強に行きます is acceptable, but this structure is usually used when 勉強 is modified (e.g. 学校へ/に日本語の勉強に行きます).

Also, I've learned that verbs such as サッカー、野球 that can be connected with をします can also be added to the structure.
So, are these two sentences identical too: 学校へサッカーをしに行きます and 学校へサッカーに行きます
サッカー and 野球 are both nouns, not verbs.
サッカーに行きます is valid, but note that this can mean サッカーを見に行きます "I go there to watch a football game" depending on the context.

Thank so much for replying, Toritoribe.

Still have 2 questions following your reply.

Since 勉強 is kind of vague in this case, then if I use suru-verbs such as 散歩, which probably won't be modified in most cases, are these two sentences identical too: 学校へ散歩しに行きます、 and 学校へ散歩に行きます

And, for sentence like サッカーに行きます, it's basically very vague, and can be interpreted in many ways right? Does it just mean: I went for soccer, which can mean I play, watch, practice, etc?

are these two sentences identical too: 学校へ散歩しに行きます、 and 学校へ散歩に行きます
Yes.

The point is whether the noun is a verbal noun(動作性名詞) or not. 散歩, 勉強 or many -suru verb stems such like 買い物 express a kind of action, so it can be attached directly to に行く to mean "to go to do", as same as the -masu stem of verbs (e.g. 泳ぎに行く, 食べに行く, 言いに行く). However, サッカー or 野球 is not a verbal noun, and サッカーする or 野球する is considered just the omission of the particle を, i.e., サッカー(を)する or 野球(を)する. That's why サッカーに行きます doesn't always mean "I go to play football".

Back
Top Bottom