What's new

Question on phrase

Keeni84

先輩
25 Oct 2003
How would you say:

When are you not dancing? (Like, a sarcastic response to "I am going dancing again tonight)

This is what my friends thought it should be, but I'm not too sure about it:

いすダンスませにか?

But I thought it would be something like:

いすダンスをしません?

But I think there should be a particle or something between the いす and the ダンス...

ありがとうございます!!!

How about, "いつも踊ってるんじゃないの?" (Aren't you always dancing?)? It isn't literal, but I believe that it gets the message across. I'll try for literal too, if that is what you want. Hmm, "踊らない時もあるのか" (Lit: Are there times when you don't dance too?). I guess word for word would be "いつ踊っていないのか". Sorry if I confused you with all of the variations, but it took me a while to get to the original sentence. I hope that this is helpful. :)

Thank you! But could you please give me the hiragana for the kanji of 踊??? I am not familiar with this kanji at all. Thank you!

ありがとうございます!

😄

Originally posted by Keeni84
Thank you! But could you please give me the hiragana for the kanji of 踊??? I am not familiar with this kanji at all. Thank you!

ありがとうございます!

😄

Oh, sorry about that. It is pronounced おど・る (踊る).

ありがとうございます!

😄
As it's in electronic form you can just paste the character into
WWWJDIC: Word Search
check the box marked " limit the search to keys starting with the matching kanji" and click 'Begin search'.

Or just 踊っていないの? You aren't dancing?! You could also add なぜ at the beginning to make it "why aren't you dancing?"

Another variation might be:

ダンスしないところもあるの? / ダンスしないところもありますか。

(are there occasions when you don't dance?)

or

いつでもダンスするね。

(you are always dancing, aren't you?)

The suggestion offered by your friends:
ダンスませんか。
is incorrect Japanese. The polite verb ます cannot be combined with nouns. (all katakana words are nouns). ます, ません and ましょう are always placed after the ren'youkei conjugation of verbs.

いす (isu) means "chair", I think you mean いつ (itsu): when

Originally posted by Eelco
The suggestion offered by your friends:
ダンスませんか。
is incorrect Japanese. The polite verb ます cannot be combined with nouns. (all katakana words are nouns).
サボ is katakana, サボ (n) [...] (2) sabotage (abbr.) is a noun
therefore there is no
サボる (v5r) to be truant; to be idle; to sabotage by slowness; (P)

There are a few other cases where katakanago has mutated into i-adjectives or verbs - but really I'm just being awkward, in general you are correct.

Yeah, I meant "itsu". I was typing fast, ha ha.

Eelco--I think your translation is probably what my friends are looking for.

"いつでもダンスするね."

Thank you guys so much for helping me. It seems I've been doing that a lot, lately!

Yeah, I meant "itsu". I was typing fast, ha ha.

Eelco--I think your translation is probably what my friends are looking for.

"いつでもダンスするね."
I'm not sure it makes much sense, though, since Itsudemo is more like "anytime" than "always." :confused:

Originally posted by Elizabeth
I'm not sure it makes much sense, though, since Itsudemo is more like "anytime" than "always." :confused:

"いつでもダンスするね."
"[I'll/he'll] dance anytime!"

I'm not quite sure what Keeni84 wanted the /English/ to be.

(ね is always a pain to translate. I don't think ", huh." ", right?" or ", eh?" would improve it ...)

Originally posted by PaulTB
"いつでもダンスするね."
"[I'll/he'll] dance anytime!"

I'm not quite sure what Keeni84 wanted the /English/ to be.

(ね is always a pain to translate. I don't think ", huh." ", right?" or ", eh?" would improve it ...)
That's what I thinking as well....it just comes off a little more like encouragement to someone who for some reason wasn't dancing when they normally would be rather than a sarcastic response to someone who was dancing too much. Depending too on the intonation and situation in context of course.

Following the grand tradition of such words as おやばか.

How about ダンス馬鹿だね。
( Hmm, got 55 Google hits for ダンス馬鹿
6 for ダンスばか
and 89 for ダンスバカ )

I just thought of this. If you mean to say "always going out to dance," (as opposed to just always dancing) then I think 踊りに行く (ダンスに行く) or some such phrase should be used.

Originally posted by Glenn
I just thought of this. If you mean to say "always going out to dance," (as opposed to just always dancing) then I think 踊りに行く (ダンスに行く) or some such phrase should be used.
Maybe odori ni dekakeru. I was wondering about that on the way to work this morning as well, it just doesn't seem pithy or succinct enough if that's what was being sought.

Originally posted by PaulTB
Following the grand tradition of such words as おやばか.

How about ダンス馬鹿だね。
( Hmm, got 55 Google hits for ダンス馬鹿
6 for ダンスばか
and 89 for ダンスバカ )

探していた言葉そうです。いまでもこんな表現の使い方がちゃんとうわからないけど。

たとえば、「ダンスが大好きで才能もあるけれどそれだけの人」を「ダンス馬鹿」と言う風に呼んだりしますか?
または「プロフェッショナルダンス教師をしている友達」に「ダンスバカ」を言っても自然ですか?

英語の[Crazy/Foolish dancer]というのはちょっと失礼みたいな感じですね。 :)

「_____バカ」は「_____」のことに至極熱心がありま
す。そんな風な人は「_____バカ」を褒め言葉として聞
こえます。例えば、ネコバカ
【ネコバカ同盟】

Not too sure about my Japanese so,

A "____ baka" is someone who is extremely enthusiastic about ____. That sort of person could hear "____ baka" as complimentary. See for example "neko baka".

ありがとう。 私も日本語で言いたかったことが分かってもらわないと心配していますよ。大体の意味はわかったらいいと思います。

「_____バカ」は「_____」のことに至極熱心がありま
す。そんな風な人は「_____バカ」を褒め言葉として聞
こえます。例えば、ネコバカ

多分人と状況によって違うでしょうね。
私にとって、自分の家族や親しい間のことを言ったりするときですが使えます。あまり知らない人に対して「____バカ」などと言うのは失礼になります。

まったく知らない人このような場合に「馬鹿」を使うと常識を疑われるでしょう。

Originally posted by Elizabeth
まったく知らない人このような場合に「馬鹿」を使うと常識を疑われるでしょう。
それはそうだけど、「バカ」と「___バカ」との違い
も大事な点だと思います。

そうかもね。

多分「馬鹿」という言葉は意味が広いので (stupid, silly, foolish, idiotic, ridiculous, insane etc) 「馬鹿」や「ばかげた」や「ばかばかしい」や「___ バカ」とかの間の感じの類似は相違より顕著ですけど。

日本語では前後の文はもちろん、その場の状況や雰意気 で意味を理解しなければならない場合が多いですね。

Back
Top Bottom