What's new

A phrase when someone dies .. ??

Suki-Yaki

焼肉わが家が一番
22 Jun 2004
Today we have learnt that our sensei's grandfather has passed away. She has travelled to another prefecture to attend the funeral . I wanna send her a message of comfort but I am not sure if there is some phrase I should say .

Is there a Japanese phrase related to someone's death. Please someone help !

You're probably best off asking a native speaker what the best move at a time like this is. There are cultural, as well as language matters to deal with at times like these.

This a similar but different question:
What would a Japanese say to the dead person, "Fare-well to the nether world"
depending on which the deceased were of the following?

1. Buddhist
2. Shinto
3. Catholic Christian
4. Protestant Christian
5. Nestorian (Eastern) Christian
6. Hindu
7. Muslim
8. Jewish
9. Atheist
10. Agnost
11. Gnost
12. All of the above

note: This is not a joke although it sounds like one.

Elizabeth said:
心より(または、から)お悔やみ申し上げます。

A sentence of "Elizabeth san" is right.

kokokara okuyami moushiagemasu.

or

「この度はご愁傷様です。」konotabiha(wa) gosyusyou samadesu.

A sentence of Elizabeth san is right.
As for the words of condolences, short words are better.

I've used XXX に対しこころからの哀悼の意を表します before, too, but it may not be appropriate for offering condolences to someone directly.

By the way, isn't there also a well-known Buddhist saying akin to blessing the soul of the departed, with 霊 or 魂 ?

That's a tricky question even if you're talking about English. Maybe, "I'm sorry to hear about your loss."

Hi, again Suki!

Expressing condolences is very tricky, especially in Japanese, because there are taboos in words to be used depending on Buddhist sect. There are many details regarding how funerals are organized, too. (Don't ask me--I have a Christian background.)

The best words for condolences are those that Elizabeth and Nagashima-san posted. Shortest is the best, because you avoid making mistakes.

Hello everybody!

I sent a message to my sensei ! I told her :

kokokara okuyami moushiagemasu , minasan wa shinpai shite imasu , ganbatte kudasai !

And she just sent me a relieving answer through her mobile phone. It seems she's ok , and in good spirits. She tells me she'll be back to school tomorrow !

I'm soo happy !!! Thanks everyone for the help 🙂

That's a tricky question even if you're talking about English. Maybe, "I'm sorry to hear about your loss."
It's very similar in fact to how the Japanese use Nagashima's suggestion 「この度はご愁傷様です。」konotabiha(wa) gosyusyou samadesu.

Sorry for bringing up an ancient thread. Only because I recently put the translations together, thankfully not for any occasion in particular... 😅

生きているだけで感謝すべきなんでしょうね。 :)

Back
Top Bottom