What's new

Question about wanikani

filipe.mtx

Kouhai
11 Oct 2021
Sometimes I tend to look for kanjis on wanikani because it have some made up stories with the kanji radicals.

My question is: Can I access all of its kanjis explanations for free?

Is only the SRS system limited by a plus subscription? Because I'm using it quite often... am I missing something?

Sometimes I tend to look for kanjis on wanikani because it have some made up stories with the kanji radicals.

My question is: Can I access all of its kanjis explanations for free?

Is only the SRS system limited by a plus subscription? Because I'm using it quite often... am I missing something?
I don't think so. I don't know how many kanji are in the free tier but according to this page you have to pay to get access to all 60 levels.

guys thank you for your attention

my question is because I use wani kani as a free dictionary of words and kanji

I will give you some examples:

dog radical
dog kanji
dog vocabulary

all of these pages are open

is it inteded to be like this way?
is the paid part is only their system and SRS stuff?

Looks like the free version is limited to the first 3 levels, you'll have to pay if you want to access the whole thing.

can anyone verify with words other than the first 3 levels?

EDIT: just checked, all the levels are open for vocabulary, kanji and radicals
I think that you only pay for the SRS benefits
1645832973626.png

1645832983011.png

1645832989714.png

Basic dictionary functions are free elsewhere, I prefer www.jisho.org, it would be silly for them to hide it behind a paywall.

It looks like their subscription service is for the study tools they specifically developed. The review link I provided notes that Anki is the most popular such tool, and it's free.

just checked, all the levels are open for vocabulary, kanji and radicals
I think that you only pay for the SRS benefits

Looks like you're in luck then. Do you find their mnemonics work for you? I never successfully learned kanji that way. But then I never successfully learned kanji. :cautious:

In the capital, a broken dog begins to settle in. This dog used to live in the country, but he kept getting caught in bear and fox traps which busted the poor dog up. The dog didn't want to live like this, so he decided to settle in the capital city where there aren't pesky animal traps to get caught in.
In order to help the dog settle in, the capital cobbler makes him a pair of shoes (しゅう). The shoes help him walk on his hurt legs, but more importantly, they help him relax and feel like a dog again.

I signed up for Wanikani and I think I may pay for it as I'm into the third level now. I've been tired of the plateau I'm at regarding my reading ability for the last 20 years. But I don't have the time or energy or motivation to do the intensive flash card/study thing. So I'm hoping the mnemonics/stories they've come up with will help make some things stick. And it's really easy to do. It's not gamified exactly but very low barrier to regularly run the drills and enough of a feeling of satisfaction to keep one engaged. So far anyway. They base everything on "radicals" but they are counting a number of kanji as separate radicals such as 中 so it's not aligned with traditional Japanese in that way. Does anybody know of a general (free) kanji test I could take? It would be nice to get a before baseline and after score to measure the improvement.

Back
Top Bottom