What's new

Question about silents

Matsuyuu

先輩
13 Aug 2003
I have a question about two types of Japanese words in general:
1. Words like "desu" and "imasu"
2. Words like "hajimemashite" and "soshite"
Okay, I know that desu the -u is silent (at least at the end of a scentence, so is it the same with "imasu," and other words with u's at the end of them?
Also, I know that you kind of skip the "i" in hajimemashite (right?), so do you do that too in "soshite" and "doushite?"
ありがとう

Originally posted by Matsuyuu
I have a question about two types of Japanese words in general:
1. Words like "desu" and "imasu"
2. Words like "hajimemashite" and "soshite"
Okay, I know that desu the -u is silent (at least at the end of a scentence, so is it the same with "imasu," and other words with u's at the end of them?

It's so intuitive by now I don't really think about it, but definately the "u" in "su" (sukoshi, suki, etc) is often very faint or not pronounced at all.

Also, I know that you kind of skip the "i" in hajimemashite (right?), so do you do that too in "soshite" and "doushite?"
Not only the "i" in "shi" but "chi" (chikai), "hi" (hito), "ki" (kiki) "pi" (piku-piku) and others and mostly when they come before certain other consonants. Something you just pick up naturally with practice....

The interesting thing is that there are no "silents" at all when Japanese is sung, right? By the way, do you pronounce the "u" in the word "Tengu"? Or, as a rule, are "u" and "i" silent after "soft" consonants?

Sometimes those sounds are pronounced, so don't take these "silents" as hard and fast rules. A lot of it depends on where you learned to speak Japanese and any accent the region might have.

In j-pop, the silents are usually sung to match lyrics to music. A word like tenshi would be sung te-n-shi. Very confusing in a fast tempo song like the opening to the Inachu Ping Pong Club anime. But at the same time it sounds beautiful and deliberate in softer music. The 'n' sound is my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom