What's new

Question about Dates

Kiyotsuki

後輩
27 May 2002
Ok, so I'm studying for the JLPT level 4 test right. so I got this practice test book which is supposed to simulate the test.
So in the first section, it gives a sentence. you are supposed to pick the sound (hiragana) of each kanji (single, or combination) that is used in the sentence. example:
八日から 十日まで 父と ろこうしました。
①八日 1 はちか 2 はつか 3 ようか 4 よっか
②十日 1 じゅうか 2 じゅうにち ... and so on

My question is: these two sets of kanji ( 八日 and 十日) look like they would have a similar reading, but they don't. (one is ようか the other is じゅうにち) How do I tell how a certain date is read in a certain way? if there is a list, I please show me.
😌 thank you!

This is a sign that either you are not studying from some organized pedagogical material such as a textbook, or that you haven't progressed far enough into it yet to cover this material. I suspect the former.

What they are testing for here is whether you have learned the oddities of counting days versus naming dates. If you can't read those, then you haven't. The danger of self-study with unorganized material (if that's what you're doing), is that one can't help but unwittingly have several large gaps.

一日 tsuitachi
二日 futsuka
三日 mikka
四日 yokka
五日 itsuka
六日 muika
七日 nanoka
八日 youka
九日 kokonoka
十日 tooka
十一日 juuichinichi
十二日 juuninichi
十三日 juusannichi
十四日 juuyokka
十五日 juugonichi
十六日 juurokunichi
十七日 juushichinichi
十八日 juuhachinichi
十九日 juukunichi
二十日 hatsuka
二十一日 nijuuichinichi
二十四日 nijuuyokka
二十五日 nijuugonichi
二十六日 nijuurokunichi
二十七日 nijuushichinichi
二十八日 nijuuhachinichi
二十九日 nijuukunichi
三十日 sanjuunichi
三十一日 sanjuuichinichi

Kiyotsuki said:
My question is: these two sets of kanji ( 八日 and 十日) look like they would have a similar reading, but they don't. (one is ようか the other is じゅうにち)

If 十日 is really read as じゅうにち here as you suggest, then I'm also confused; I would expect とおか.

Soren said:
If 十日 is really read as じゅうにち here as you suggest, then I'm also confused; I would expect とおか.
You're right. It's not. Check Mike and my posts.*

* Darn it I'm sure I got the grammar wrong in that sentence. 😌

Soren said:

That was almost certainly one of the options. Notice that the OP didn't finish listing all the choices.

Kiyotsuki said:
Ok, so I'm studying for the JLPT level 4 test right. so I got this practice test book which is supposed to simulate the test.
So in the first section, it gives a sentence. you are supposed to pick the sound (hiragana) of each kanji (single, or combination) that is used in the sentence. example:
八日から 十日まで 父と ろこうしました。
What is ろこうしました? Do you mean sightseeing ?

Back
Top Bottom