What's new

XF 2.2 Posting before registering

Threads related to the 2.2.0 upgrade

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Guests can now be lured into discussions by giving them the opportunity to reply to threads before they register. They will, however, be compelled to sign up before their message will be posted.

write-before-registering.jpg

From the developers:

Participation. It's the lifeblood of a forum, and once you have a group of dedicated members creating and discussing content, your forum will flourish. But there's a barrier to entry when it comes to participation. When a new visitor stumbles upon your forum from a search engine, they may read the content that piqued their interest and then feel inclined to add their own thought-provoking response, but at that point, they are confronted with the dreaded

"You must log in or register to reply here".
... at which point, in many cases, the whim disappears and they disappear like a stranger in the night.

The prospect of having to complete a form and go through the rigmarole of signing-up to a new service is quite a turn-off to new visitors, for obvious reasons. Visitors have a reticence to registration because they often consider it not to be worth their time.

So, what if they had something to lose by not completing the registration process?

This is the thought behind Writing Before Registering. When enabled, guest users will be granted access to the New Thread button and the Quick Reply editor and various other tools that are available to registered members. The experience is almost identical to that of a logged-in user, allowing the guest to create rich content before having registered, such that they can compose the message they want without obstructions.

What a lovely post. Now register or lose it.

And then, when they've spent time lovingly crafting their message and hit the submit button, then we smack them with the registration form.

Now, the hapless visitor has a conundrum. Are they prepared to have wasted the time they spent composing their message and abandon their contribution, or will they spend a few moments completing the annoying registration form? We're betting that a good proportion will choose the latter.

This system makes me angry whenever I encounter it, and, having typed up something I've put thought into, I close the window and never return to that site, or at least never interact with it.
I don't think I'm not exactly normal though.

We shall be testing this for a while to see if it results in higher participation rates. In case we are flooded with furious complaints, I'll be glad to disable it. Honestly, I do not expect any drastic changes. :)

This system makes me angry whenever I encounter it, and, having typed up something I've put thought into, I close the window and never return to that site, or at least never interact with it.
I don't think I'm not exactly normal though.
I've been tricked by these on occasion also. Typically in comment sections, not forums. I never follow through with the registration. But for this forum, it can't hurt. Anybody that doesn't join, wouldn't have joined anyway.

Back
Top Bottom