What's new

Possibilities of working in Japan as an Artist

Kaijucrush

Registered
10 Jun 2014
hello!
I'm a half Taiwanese, half Dutch American who has lived in both Holland and Taiwan along with my birth place of the United States. I posses both US and Dutch European Union passports. I'm a native English Speaker but willing to learn Japanese. Right now, I'm at University studying Animation, Concept art, and in the future, 3D modelling.
I'm hoping to work in Japan to be closer to my extended family in Taiwan, as well as because the industry for the type of work I want to do seems stronger and with more prominent studios then in Taiwan or China.

My question is, how easy is it to get into a studio here right out of University, as a foreigner speaking english mainly? If possible I would like to take summer internships at Studios in Japan, so I would like to know about that as well.

How much emphasis is put on past experience at other places/jobs to get one at a studio in japan?

Thank you! I may ask more questions if need be :)

Connections are everything.

Coming to Japan to look for work without any contacts is a pretty stiff order for anyone, even more so in a particular industry like art or design. I'd recommend trying to make contacts with people who work in the field in which you are interested... seeking them out online and/or visiting can help here. Find artists you admire and reach out to them. Even more importantly, focus on your studies and build a stellar portfolio, the kind that people see and WANT to befriend you because they think YOU'D be a good contact.

Interning or doing a semester abroad at an art school in Japan would go a LONG way towards building those connections, making you local friends, and also give you some experience staying in the country which could feed/squelch your desire to live there in the future.

hello!
I'm a half Taiwanese, half Dutch American who has lived in both Holland and Taiwan along with my birth place of the United States. I posses both US and Dutch European Union passports.
Stop with the "half this, half that" ethnic descriptions. Use only the last sentence when you describe yourself to avoid confusing employers and especially immigration.

I'm a native English Speaker but willing to learn Japanese. Right now, I'm at University studying Animation, Concept art, and in the future, 3D modelling.
Fine, good. You should look what it takes to get an artist visa, or perhaps an engineering visa.

My question is, how easy is it to get into a studio here right out of University, as a foreigner speaking english mainly? If possible I would like to take summer internships at Studios in Japan, so I would like to know about that as well.
Not my field, but most non-teaching jobs here will require fairly high Japanese, for conversation as well as reading/writing. Get cracking. I also agree with the earlier comment about internships. Shoot for one.

How much emphasis is put on past experience at other places/jobs to get one at a studio in japan?
None if you are a fresh Japanese graduate. Since you are not that, they will want to know what you can do that a J grad can't. Think of it. Also, I don't know what actual experience beyond an internship you can get.

Back
Top Bottom