What's new

Police work

tomoni

Sempai
Donor
15 Apr 2014
I was asked an interesting question recently-and I actually have no idea about this.

As I'm sure most long-term residents are aware, background checks and so on are very severe for people applying to the police. For example if a relative has a criminal record, they are rejected.

I was recently asked if a Japanese national with a foreign parent, could be a police officer. Naturally according to Japanese law, because they are in fact Japanese citizens and born in Japan, there should be no reason that they couldn't be police officers.

However I've never even anecdotally heard of a case of a individual from an international child, who was born in Japan and raised in Japan with Japanese citizen ship that has become a police officer.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any police officers from this kind of international background.

Cheers.

That's a very interesting question and one that I cannot answer, unfortunately. Given the rising number of foreign residents, it would be a sensible thing to employ police officers with parents of foreign background. It's already happening in a lot of countries with larger segments of immigrants. Some U.S. communities seem to be hiring immigrants without citizenship:

A lot of European communities specifically look for recruits "with an immigration background". Sorry, in German:

Anyhow, I hope someone has more valuable information on this truly interesting topic.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your post. I couldn't find anything either about this topic.

My follow up:

I spoke to a recently retired Police Branch Chief, and he told me that if the person holds Japanese nationality, then parentage is not relevant. The is would the "official answer" I would think, but he also told me that he personally knows of police officers from international marriages (at least one non Japanese parent).

Cheers

Has anyone read the novel "Go" by Kazuki Kaneshiro? I got it randomly through audible as a free promo and it's been a surprisingly interesting listen. I just finished a chapter that mentions a Zainichi Chosenjin--Japanese-born Korean--police officer... although it's fiction it seems that it's not unbelievable. I don't know of any real-world examples, but honestly I imagine it would be of benefit to have a diversified police force. Is the requirement that applicants are born in Japan, or is it enough that they have Japanese citizenship (in addition to all the other requirements)?

Back
Top Bottom