What's new

News PM Suga to resign

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
PM Suga doing an Abe: today, he declared he would not run in the party presidential election set for 29 September.

Suga met briefly with reporters after the LDP executives' meeting and said he wanted to focus on containing the novel coronavirus pandemic. "A huge amount of energy would have been required to deal with the pandemic and also conduct party presidential campaign activities," he said. "I felt it would have been impossible to do both so I had to decide on one of the two." However, Suga did not take any additional questions from reporters. Top LDP leaders expressed shock at Suga's decision to bow out of the election. "To be honest, I am very surprised," LDP Secretary-General Toshihiro Nikai told reporters. He added that he was not aware of what Suga was planning to say before entering the meeting room.

In the race so far: former Minister of Foreign Affairs Kishida Fumio and Kono Taro, former Minister of Foreign Affairs and Defence, currently Minister for Administrative and Regulatory Reform. It wouldn't be bad to have a PM who has a good command of the English language.

Japanese PMs resigning seems to be the norm these days. So few fill out their term. Have you noticed how the new boss almost always resembles the old boss though?

And the stock market took off. Seems a lot of people are breathing sigh of relief over this.

Having completed all he had hoped to in a single term, he then bowed out to make room for the next generation, like a true gentleman.

Back
Top Bottom