What's new

Please Verify Authenticity and Assist With Translations

Petit

後輩
27 Apr 2021
Japanese Flag.jpg

I have owned this flag for 21 years - purchased from a reputable WW II memorabilia dealer with letter of authenticity. I am new to this website. Wish I had know about it years ago. Is my flag as pictured authentic? If yes, how may get it translated? I have found many of the forums about this subject have been closed for many years. Thank you for any assistance that can be offered.

It says

祈武運長久 (pray for good luck in battle)
為武田定治君 (for Takeda Sadaji-kun) (multiple readings possible)

The remainder are names. I can't tell it its authentic or not. There is a similarity to all the names, there is nothing particularly unique about it - no date, no location, no presenter, no other identifying clues, which makes it hard to pinpoint, and makes one think it may have been fabricated after the war. That's my initial impression.

Thank you. I have wondered all these years if indeed it was authentic. The dealer that issued the certificate of authenticity is long ago gone out of business.

Not sure what you do with it, but if you keep it on display the big message is upside down in your image. All of the names are read vertically from the sun

I kind of thought that. I will correct and post the corrected image later. It is very late at my location. Thanks to all for the assistance.

Back
Top Bottom