What's new

Oven in Japan

bstevy

後輩
26 Jun 2014
Hello Everyone,

I have a problem with my kitchen in Japan ^^ Please, could you help me ?

I mean, I am french you know, and I love cooking. But the oven in Japan are so different than those in France, I don't know what to choose.
I would like something very simple, something that do both microwave and heating and where you can choose microwave power (from 100w to 900w) and the temperature (from 100°C to 250°C). These two functions are enough for me.
Maybe, there is something that I don't understand, but all the Japanese oven seem to have only automatic program, like "heating combini bento" or "cooking tonkatsu"... and I did not find anything about "roasted chicken" for example... So I am very confused.

And they are also using the steam heat system, which does not exist at all in France... but maybe, it's useful, I dont know so I cant say.

So please, tell me if there is something that I do not understand ? (maybe all the automatic program are just features and I can set the temperature in all models....)
Or maybe, it doesnt exist any of this type of oven in Japan ?
Do you have maybe some vocabulary word that I could use to explain what I want in Japanese ? like "set the temperature and the microwave power" or "An oven that do both heat and microwave" ?

Thanks for your help.

Steven

As you guessed, almost all(well, probably "all") automatic ovens can choose the oven temperature, and most of them can choose one of the two or more preset microwave power (e.g. 150W, 300W, 500W, 600W and 800W). レンジ出力, オーブン温度調節範囲 or something like that are the words you are looking for.

20johvb.jpg

Take a Japanese person with you to the store. What you want is very commonly sold. Steam ovens are not that common a feature, so you might be reading things wrong.

I could be wrong, but even on the ones that have the steam feature, it's an option--you can bake without it if you want.

Right, johnny. We have one like that. If you steam/roast, you cannot microwave until it has cooled way down, that that has always in my wife's experience meant waiting until the next day.

Thank you all for your answers !
I bought my oven, and it works perfectly fine.
the ovens in Japan are smaller inside than those in France but the automatic functions are finally quite useful ;)

Back
Top Bottom