What's new

Osaka and Tokyo

Tellklaus

後輩
9 Jun 2003
Hi everyone.

this question I'm going to make might seem little 'unimportant' and kinda silly. But....I really wanna know the anwer...😄
My question is: Is "a loaf of bread" (the food) different in Osaka and Tokyo in concerns of its size(thickness in particular)?
I was reading this guide book about shopping in Tokyo, and it said, "When you purchase a loaf of bread in Tokyo, you'll find it quite different from Osaka. They have different standard of size in making/slicing breads....blablabla"
So......plz tell me if this 'silly' information is true or not.

take care~
:p

Hmm... re: differences in texture, flavor, flour used, etc. I really have no clue. Re: slicing and differences in width, I know that the bread I used to buy from the bakery dept. at my local grocer (as well as other establishments) was always precut in absurdly thick slices (like 1" thick). I always had to have a fresh loaf sliced to my specifications (which were much thinner needless to say, and more ideal for sandwich-making). Of course this was in Sapporo so I can't really speak for Osaka or Tokyo although I would suspect it to be similar if not the same.
:)

Konnichiwa Tellklaus-san!

Yes, it is compared Tokyo and Osaka frequently because Tokyo is the capital city and Osaka is the second city. Moreover, Osaka was the capital city in old times. And there is a lot of difference between Tokyo and Osaka.

I think all size of loaf of bread is the same in Japan. Of course there are a little difference, but they are the same size, roughly speaking.
But one's taste is different between Tokyo and Osaka. Tokyo people like a thinly sliced bread. But Osaka people like a thickly sliced bread.:D

NANGI

osaka people; they talk funny. Or I just have a hard time understanding osaka ben.

uh oh.

Originally posted by NANGI
Konnichiwa Tellklaus-san!

Yes, it is compared Tokyo and Osaka frequently because Tokyo is the capital city and Osaka is the second city. Moreover, Osaka was the capital city in old times.

NANGI

don''t you mean Kyoto?

don''t you mean Kyoto?

I'm not thorougly into Japanese history, but wasn't Osaka a 'practical' capital city of Japan during Hideyoshi's time?
{and I think Kyoto was only a symbolic capital city of the imperial court)

Konnichiwa Minasan!

to Eimik
Yes, Osaka-jin is very funny people. Of course Osaka-ben too. Honmayade---.:D

to Noyhauser and Tellklaus
Most of all people think that Japanese ancient capital city is Kyo(Kyoto), even the Japanese. Of course it is not a mistake. But the first capital city in Japan is Osaka "Nanba no Miya".
And, Yes, Osaka is a "practical" capital city of Japan during Hideyoshi's time.

NANGI

Wasn't it called Naniwa too? That was like way before Nara became the capital.

I just love Osakaben!

Oh, by the way, might be somewhat off-topic, but what do you guys think about the differences between Osaka and Tokyo? There seems to be some competition and difference in way of dealing with life between Kansai people and Kanto people and both sides prefer their own capitals. I myself have lived in Osaka and I must say I prefer Osaka rather than Tokyo. Any opinions?

Konnichiwa Musashi-san!
Oh,sorry! Naniwa no Miya is correct but not Nanba.:p
Of course there is a lot of difference between Tokyo and Kansai. It seem to differet country completely.
Most of all the provinces people hanker after Tokyo's things. And they imitate Tokyo. But Kansai is different. Kansai people are proud of their culture and they feel hostility toward Tokyo. Because Kansai is ancient capital and has great history(tradition) more than 1500 years. But Tokyo has only 400 years history and had been a marshy place.😊
I think that Tokyo has a lot of good things but I like Kansai more than Tokyo.😌

NANGI

Back
Top Bottom