What's new

on'yomi and kun'yomi

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
Kanji: 青
Not really sure all about this but I'll give it a try here.
青 is blue
The onyomi is: せい does that mean: fault
じょう does that mean: learn more
The kuyomi is: あお Blue
あおい blue
青信号 あおしんごう light green color and green light

It doesn't work like that.

Do you know what "onyomi" and "kunyomi" mean?

Kanji provides the meaning. It's not changed by the reading. 青 is "blue", "young", "immature", etc., whether on'yomi or kun'yomi.
e.g.
群青(ぐんじょう): deep blue
青(あお): blue
青天(せいてん): blue sky
青空(あおぞら): blue sky
青年(せいねん): young people
青二才(あおにさい): greenhorn

It doesn't work like that.

Do you know what "onyomi" and "kunyomi" mean?
I understand that "onyomi" is used mostly for nouns.
Kunyomi when used when kanji appears with adjectives and verbs. But does seem a bit confusing though.
both use kanji

Kanji provides the meaning. It's not changed by the reading. 青 is "blue", "young", "immature", etc., whether on'yomi or kun'yomi.
e.g.
群青(ぐんじょう): deep blue
青(あお): blue
青天(せいてん): blue sky
青空(あおぞら): blue sky
青二才(あおにさい): greenhorn

Thanks
So basically when learning kanji, one must also learn the on and kun to really be able to read in the actually meaning of what is being printed.

I understand that "onyomi" is used mostly for nouns.
Kunyomi when used when kanji appears with adjectives and verbs.
Your understanding is not correct. The on'yomi せい and しょう were originally from the Chinese pronunciations of 青. On the other hand, there had already existed the Japanese origin word あお, which meant "blue", before the kanji 青 was introduced from China, and later, the reading あお was applied to the Chinese character 青 which meant "blue" in Chinese. This is kun'yomi. There are countless kun'yomi nouns (あお is a noun in the first place), and on'yomi verbs (mostly -suru verbs)/adjectives.

Kanji - Readings - On'yomi (Sino-Japanese reading) - Wikipedia
Kanji - Readings - Kun'yomi (native reading) - Wikipedia

So basically when learning kanji, one must also learn the on and kun to really be able to read in the actually meaning of what is being printed.
As often pointed out, you need to learn the language. To learn grammar is incomparably important than to learn each kanji individually. You should grasp the functions of が or を first, otherwise you even can't understand the meaning of the explanations of kanji such like 木を見るようにむかいあう for 相, right?

Your understanding is not correct. The on'yomi せい and しょう were originally from the Chinese pronunciations of 青. On the other hand, there had already existed the Japanese origin word あお, which meant "blue", before the kanji 青 was introduced from China, and later, the reading あお was applied to the Chinese character 青 which meant "blue" in Chinese. This is kun'yomi. There are countless kun'yomi nouns (あお is a noun in the first place), and on'yomi verbs (mostly -suru verbs)/adjectives.

Kanji - Readings - On'yomi (Sino-Japanese reading) - Wikipedia
Kanji - Readings - Kun'yomi (native reading) - Wikipedia

As often pointed out, you need to learn the language. To learn grammar is incomparably important than to learn each kanji individually. You should grasp the functions of が or を first, otherwise you even can't understand the meaning of the explanations of kanji such like 木を見るようにむかいあう for 相, right?

thank you
I'll go into the grammar part more now, but I'll try to at least recognize some kanji as I move forward.
Thanks for the links that you have provided me with so far.

Back
Top Bottom