What's new

Offtopic US-Euro different viewpoints

I own a gun because I can.

Ok.... I can beat up little kids...but that doesnt mean I do it.... what kinda reasoning is that.

I like to shoot targets. But my eye sight is not very good. A time comes when your skills begin to decline. I don't hunt- I went once and cleaning game isn't my thing. I miss the historical WWII guns, particularly an M1 and Colt 1911.

Now I just play paintball. Hunt down the humans. Spatter them up. We all go home bruised, but alive.

Actually I always wanted to do that... paintballing I mean, it looks like very fun and I could hurt my friends with an excuse :p
Is funny I never really was curious or got the urge to try shooting a gun...despite all the movies and all that,,,but I'd like to try out a japanese sword, that for sure, cut up some of those fake hay targets, should be fun

Last edited:
Duo, I actually enjoy hearing what Europeans think of our issues. It is one of the reasons why I come to these forums.

Random thoughts on the topic as it as progressed

I have never been able to understand the need for excessive power under the hood in America (referring to automobiles). I always thought of cars and what not as a means to either get from one place to another or move things from one place to another. Nothing more.

As far as guns are concerned, I think they should be much more regulated than they are. I don't think average people should just be able to walk off the street and buy one, even if they have to wait, etc., etc. I understand that most criminal elements do not obtain their guns legally, but I think that the pool of available guns should be much smaller than it is today. (In other words, don't make so many damn guns in the first place!)

I used to have a BB gun, and I used to shoot at small game (very small. Squirrels and chipmunks and crows and stuff). It was fun until I started hitting stuff and had to clean up the mess.

I remember playing "cowboys and indians" and the Cold War variant "Kill the Commie ". Of course it was with toy guns, but it was only a game for me. I never actually wanted to own a real gun.

The irony of people on a forum primarily geared towards foreigners commenting on Japan complaining about a European commenting on their own country is mind-numbing. It's really quite amusing! I'm glad that it's been able to stay civil! :p

America, whether Americans or the rest of world likes it or not, holds great sway over the financial, social and political life of people in other countries. When things happen in America shock waves head out to other countries - so I don't think it unreasonable for non-Americans to make comments about the internal affairs of America.

I often find that people outside my own country are able to see things for what they are, without the cultural baggage that sometimes blinds us as to the truth. It's easy to get emotional and blank them - 'how dare they talk about my beloved country and culture' - but more difficult yet more rewarding to listen to them and see if there are any insights to be had.

Ok.... I can beat up little kids...but that doesnt mean I do it.... what kinda reasoning is that.
Reasons to beat up little kids:
1. They make strange and sometimes funny noises.
2. It is easier than beating up adults.
3. The bigger the mismatch, the lesser the risk.
4. If you lose, you can blame it on your age and say thay you could have beaten him when you were 12.
5. They often have pocket electronics like iPods and Nintendo DS's
6. They may have lunch money.
7. You win, and the playground is your kingdom.
8. Good practice for real fighting.
9. If you lose, they usually don't run as fast.
10. Little kids don't drive. They can't follow you home and stalk you for months.

Duo if you ever come to California look me up. Perhaps we can play some paintball.

I came across this quote when journalist Robert Sherman once asked George Bush Senior whether he recognised the equal citizenship and patriotism of American atheists. Bush responded:

"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
(Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion, Bantam Press, 2006, p.43)

So atheists are not citizens nor patriots. Oh God!

It's true, Americans are more religious than the Europeans. But I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but I do feel that our politicians should keep their religious views to themselves and not allow it to interfere with their politics. Just recently the state of Texas and Tennesse had passed a ridiculous law that says that pretty much says that anyone who doesn't believe in God shouldn't run for office. In my opinion it just means that Americans really aren't that accepting of diverse ideas. Just recently the first muslim congressman had been elected, while I think this is good to a point, because the Whitehouse needs more diversity in belief systems. But I wonder, will we elect an atheist? Why should a person's religious beliefs be a factor in determining whether he or she will be a good politician or not? I believe too many Americans make this a factor and we should move away from that.
When we're talking about "there should be more diversity in the Whitehouse" that diversity shouldn't include only race, it should include different ideologies, and other things as well.
I saw that quote craftsman, sadly there are alot of people who share that sentiment. :(

Lots of athiests have served in elected office. We have elected Muslims, Jews, Christians, both Protestant and Catholic, Mormons, Hindus, Pagans, and Satanists... to city, county and state offices and some to offices as high as Congress. People like to vote for people that they have something in common with, and that they feel represent their view of the world. Often religion is one important factor in their decision.

Back
Top Bottom