What's new

Officially Sickened

When someone is getting sexually harrased I am pretty sure someone will hear that, if they have headphones on or if they are sleeping.

I am sure that not everyone have heard it, but some must have heard something wasn't right.

According to the story, all that would have been audible is clothes rustling and a girl crying. Using what I hear alone, I'm not sure I would have gone out of my way to approach a strange couple with the female in tears.

I can't help but focus my attention on the paralyzing fear this woman must have been under to a) not scream initially, b) not scream when the train made a stop and personnel that obviously would not have been wearing headphones might have heard, and c) not try to make a break for it at a train stop. The threat of stalking/murder is clearly scary and she may not have been thinking clearly, but it seems that flight would be an almost automatic response once the train stopped. I'm obviously unable to truly empathize as an American male who's never been in a situation where my life was truly threatened, but it's tough to understand the thought process of the victim much more than that of the rapist, particularly with concern to her faith in the system and society around her to give her the aid she would need had she asked for it.

This is shocking... I hate rapists, they are the lowest. But, why on earth didn't anybody interfere! Maybe it's becuase, people don't want to get hurt. But then again, so many people, and they are afraid of one person!? I don't get it...

Hurt? They could have gotten off the train and called the station staff. They could have moved to a different car and informed the conductor. They could have called the police on their phone, who would have waited at the next station, and with the cooperation of the station staff arrest the man, on the spot, and charge him with sexual assault (something I have seen - the guy jumped off the platform and was chased by no less than a dozen police officers and station staff, and manhandled back on to the platform. Nothing screams "guilty! book me guv!" like that.

But none of the people did so. No one even said anything. Thats just disgusting.

An American friend of mine, a fellow who was previously employed helping Japanese professional wrestlers train, once encountered on the subway in Tokyo a chikan who was starting to put his moves on a Japanese woman.

He rather forcefully helped the fellow off the train.

I've seen Japanese men in suits drag similarly dressed men in suits off the train on a weekly basis, weirdly always at the same station, not before, not after. (don't ask why its always there). Its not always ignored ;)

her faith in the system and society around her to give her the aid she would need had she asked for it

And this is what has shook me the most. Can I have faith for people to help me when I need it? Can I have faith for people to help the ones I care about when I am not able to?

Doesn't feel much like it now.

Seems that everyone who lives in Japan eventually utters these words!
I came to the sad conclusion that Japan isn't the dreamland everyone fantasized about after being there, and learning more and more about Japan. It's the same in almost all countries, except when they hear it about Japan, they seem more shocked :?
This is actually a good thing when you compare it to life in America, but it is sad that the Japanese take it a bit too far!
Indeed, it's the same in Finland btw, lot's of drunks, but everyone is scared to even do something, so they just let them. 😌

That story disgusts me, but it doesn't shock nor surprise me. A year or so ago in Osaka my girlfriend fell off her bike on the footpath, just as she was on the ground another cyclist, a ojisan she thinks, rode straight past her, completely ignoring her. That infuriated me. However another time, my girlfriend was riding on the back of my bike (as everyone stupidly does in Japan) when she suddenly fell off, falling forward onto her hands. Of course I raced back to to help her, but a few people who were also there ran over to see if she was alright too.

This is unfortunate.. and you wonder how many crimes go unspoken or unpunished simply because the offender plays a game of chance to the likelyhood of someone standing up to them, and in this case wins. I know the desire to help and interfere is great when you are removed from the situation but honestly how many people can say when they are put in an actual situation where interfering will put them at actual risk they can choke down their own need for self preservation to help? Most people can't. This is not just a Japanese thing- -its a human thing. There are those who look down and there are those who stand up.

That article can really ruin your day... Its so sad because there were so many options to help her without being in direct danger. This is a sad look into moral judgment these days.

Latest news on this item:
OTSU -- A man under indictment for raping a woman on a train pleaded guilty to the charges on Friday.

Takamitsu Uezono, 36, who is also standing trial over a separate rape case, entered his plea during his second hearing held at the Otsu District Court on Friday.

Uezono fondled the body of a 21-year-old woman sitting next to him on a limited express train on the JR Hokuriku Line for more than an hour on Aug. 3 last year after threatening to kill her if she cried for help, according to the indictment. He then forced her into a restroom where he is accused of raping her.

(Mainichi)

There was another news article last night that made me feel sick (but nowhere near as strongly as this one), and relates to a case that occurred 7 years ago.

A man whose name goes unknown as he was only 18 at the time entered someones home with intent to rape them. He killed the woman when she resisted, and killed the baby as well because it wouldn't stop crying. The husband has been very vocal and I hope that he gets the result that he hopes for.
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20070627p2a00m0na013000c.html

And then there is Obara and Lucie Blackman. I hope they find him guilty and let her and her family finally rest, and give him the rope.

The latest news on this:

Man given 18-yr prison term for raping women on trains, in station

OTSU, Japan, Jan. 17 (AP) - (Kyodo)ツ―The Otsu District Court on Thursday sentenced a 36-year-old man to 18 years in prison for raping two women on trains and one inside a station restroom in 2006.
In handing down the ruling to Takamitsu Uezono, Presiding Judge Yoshinobu Osaki said, "The acts were audacious and despicable, showing no fear of being seen by the public. The psychological damage caused to the victims must be enormous."

The case has drawn public attention particularly because in one of the incidents none of the passengers on the train tried to stop the crime or report it to the train conductor as Uezono had threatened them.

Prosecutors had sought a sentence of 25 years in prison, saying the defendant had sent the victims "to the nadir of terror in public" and that it is likely that he will commit similar crimes in the future.

The defense had argued for leniency, claiming that brain damage suffered by Uezono due to a traffic accident may have influenced his acts.

According to the ruling, Uezono, a demolition worker, raped a woman while aboard a Thunderbird express train bound for Osaka from Toyama on the JR Hokuriku Line on the night of Aug. 3, 2006.

After being seated next to the victim, Uezono threatened her, saying, "Don't raise your voice or I'll kill you," and forced her into a men's bathroom on the train.

He was also found guilty of raping another woman on a local train and a third in a restroom at a station in Otsu, Shiga Prefecture, in December of the same year.

Source

I meant to post yesterday, but had some things to do, then forgot. Thanks for the update on that !! Regardless of how sad it may be, I tend to much more agree than not, that due to possible mental damage, even (or in spit of maybe) people who act out things like this, are stuck in that frame of being...and will more likely than not (not impossible, though) never be able to overcome that brain mapping. Putting them out of the social network might very likely be the best thing to do. No acquittal needed.

Back
Top Bottom