What's new

Question Obtaining a Master degree in Computer Science and/or Japanese language

Calvert

Registered
8 Oct 2020
Hello,

I plan to study in Japan and I am still deciding whether if I want to get a Master Degree in Computer Science or just going to attend for the language class. Can someone share their experience studying in Japan for a Master degree preferably in Computer Science or in a Language school eg where did you study and why did you to go there? It can be anywhere and I just want to listen to some real experience. Another note is the classes have to be taught in English.

Thank you.

Cal

Last edited:
I think the answer would depend on what programs are available and your goals. Have you found such graduate programs?

Here's what Nagoya University offers, for example, but no Computer Science.

As is the case with these in Nagoya, I think most graduate programs in English are research oriented.

Waseda does appear to have a Computer Science offering in their list of English-based graduate programs.

I know I'm not answering your question but I don't think we have any active members here with the experience you're looking for and I didn't want you to leave empty handed. :)

Thank you for your response. I am trying my luck asking around for some advice or shared experience. I just started googling for info and what you have provided above is useful (no doubt). If possible I would like to keep this thread open just in case someone has the similar experience.

Certainly. Our threads don't really close. If you find a relevant thread from 10 years ago, you can revive it.
And hopefully others will chime in here.

I think the real question is, "what do you want to do with your life?". A Japanese Language degree is fabulous if you are hoping to get a job in linguistics or translation. A computer science degree is obviously very useful in the tech/IT industry. Often people get confused and think living in Japan is the goal. Living anywhere, even Japan, shouldn't be the goal. You should be developing ideas of how you want to spend your existence, and what you want to excel at.

I think the real question is, "what do you want to do with your life?". A Japanese Language degree is fabulous if you are hoping to get a job in linguistics or translation. A computer science degree is obviously very useful in the tech/IT industry. Often people get confused and think living in Japan is the goal. Living anywhere, even Japan, shouldn't be the goal. You should be developing ideas of how you want to spend your existence, and what you want to excel at.
Based on what he said, I don't think he's considering a degree program in Japanese. I think studying/living in Japan for a year or two is a perfectly fine short-term goal.
Either of those paths are likely to be helpful to him. They were to me anyway. I have a computer science degree and that combined with my Japanese experience led me directly to where I am today both professionally and personally.

Sorry for the vague question that I threw out there. I just got the idea of going to Japan to either get a Master degree or simply just enrolling in a Japanese language course. After doing some googling I think I will be applying for the Japanese language course at Nagoya University or some other universities because I don't think I want to go for the Master degree. At first, I thought the cost of getting a Master degree is roughly the same as enrolling in a Japanese language course so why not go for the Master degree but I think I'm done with the CS studies.

I think studying/living in Japan for a year or two is a perfectly fine short-term goal
Who knows, anything could happen during this period and I might decide to stay there for good :)

Back
Top Bottom