What's new

NY condo designed by Sugimoto Hiroshi for sale

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
If you are looking for spectacular NY real estate with a touch of Japanese design, look no further:
  • 8,055 sqft (748 square meters)
  • Five bedrooms
  • Six full bathrooms, two half bathrooms (containing a sink and toilet but no bathtub or shower)
  • 135m USD

Just one bath in that insanely gorgeous bathtub! :)

sugimoto-hiroshi01.jpg sugimoto-hiroshi02.jpg sugimoto-hiroshi03.jpg

The housing market here in the US has gone nuts. Well to do people from out of state are buying up homes in southern Maine at crazy high prices and using them for just summer homes. My house is a tiny 2 bedroom and they just offered me $280,000 for it. The house next door is a twin to mine and it sold last week for $380,000. 35 years ago , I paid just $48 thousand for mine.

8000 square feet is insanely huge. Considering it looks like it's an entire floor I guess I shouldn't balk, but 135 million is just such a depressingly large sum of money, completely out of reach to anyone actually working for a living... my only reaction is to point out that we are now beyond the wealth disparity at the time of the French revolution.

The US housing market is an absolute mystery to me. I don't understand how the market rebounded in the decade since the last bubble burst; if it was a bubble then, what makes people think it's not one now? I highly recommend the movie "The Big Short," for some insight into how ridiculously corrupt things were, and it seems we've learned nothing. Now I'm hearing that conglomerates are buying up housing and driving the prices through the roof. Good for sellers (mostly boomers at this point), but it will push home ownership out of reach for most people, relegating those of us without the good fortune of inheriting property to a lifetime of renting.

Almost makes me want to go buy an Akiya.

The housing market here in the US has gone nuts. Well to do people from out of state are buying up homes in southern Maine at crazy high prices and using them for just summer homes. My house is a tiny 2 bedroom and they just offered me $280,000 for it. The house next door is a twin to mine and it sold last week for $380,000. 35 years ago , I paid just $48 thousand for mine.
Maybe a good time cash out and retire to some other place. Maybe even within Maine!

8000 square feet is insanely huge. Considering it looks like it's an entire floor I guess I shouldn't balk, but 135 million is just such a depressingly large sum of money, completely out of reach to anyone actually working for a living... my only reaction is to point out that we are now beyond the wealth disparity at the time of the French revolution.

The US housing market is an absolute mystery to me. I don't understand how the market rebounded in the decade since the last bubble burst; if it was a bubble then, what makes people think it's not one now? I highly recommend the movie "The Big Short," for some insight into how ridiculously corrupt things were, and it seems we've learned nothing. Now I'm hearing that conglomerates are buying up housing and driving the prices through the roof. Good for sellers (mostly boomers at this point), but it will push home ownership out of reach for most people, relegating those of us without the good fortune of inheriting property to a lifetime of renting.

Almost makes me want to go buy an Akiya.
The rent prices keep going up too though. So if you rent you are pretty much stuck renting as you can't make very good headway saving for the down payment for a house/mortgage while paying rent.

Rents are crazy now here due to none available. A small apartment here runs about $2000 USD a month. It does make it almost impossible to save for a house for young people.

Back
Top Bottom