What's new

Notebook for Japanese

Furorian

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post; I have looked around for an answer to this, but as a complete newbie to Japanese I just quickly wanted to ask this question.

When first learning to write in Japanese, what kind of notebook would you recommend? A blank one, a lined one, a squared one or is there a specific one for this purpose?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Furorian (a.k.a. Florian)

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Staff member
Reaction score
it'll really depend on your own preferences and what you're practicing, but I found that early on, larger gridded paper or genkouyoushi (原稿用紙) helped me keep the size and proportion of my characters uniform. do a search for the latter and you'll come up with a bunch of templates

Furorian

Registered
Reaction score
it'll really depend on your own preferences and what you're practicing, but I found that early on, larger gridded paper or genkouyoushi (原稿用紙) helped me keep the size and proportion of my characters uniform. do a search for the latter and you'll come up with a bunch of templates
Thanks so much for your answer. I have never heard of genkouyoushi before; I googled it and found some printable PDFs of it, which really helps in practicing.

Thanks again,
Florian

Gaijin-Guide

Registered
Reaction score
I would probably go with Lines. But I think for the first little bit you should use wide ruled instead of college. When you're writing kanji you'll want that extra room. Also, If you really wanna get into calligraphy I'd practice writing on Genkoyoshi's That's what Japanese essays are written on.
I've attached a Genkoyoshi for you to print for writing on.
頑張ってくださいね。
Check out my Youtube Channel for some basic tutorials.
Gaijin Guide - YouTube

Attachments

Furorian

Registered
Reaction score
I would probably go with Lines. But I think for the first little bit you should use wide ruled instead of college. When you're writing kanji you'll want that extra room. Also, If you really wanna get into calligraphy I'd practice writing on Genkoyoshi's That's what Japanese essays are written on.
I've attached a Genkoyoshi for you to print for writing on.
頑張ってくださいね。
Check out my Youtube Channel for some basic tutorials.
Gaijin Guide - YouTube
Thanks Gaijin. That's very helpful. I will take a look at your YouTube channel :)
Appreciate the attachment - I will print it off and give it a try.
Thanks again,
Florian

leilane

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Gaijin. That's very helpful. I will take a look at your YouTube channel :)
Appreciate the attachment - I will print it off and give it a try.
Thanks again,
Florian
hi! i'm a begginer too. as i'm still learning hiragana and katakana, i'm using some writing sheets avaiable on japanese-lesson.com. they make me feel more confident, 'cause they're divided in four little squares. but i loved genkouyoushi <3 it seems to make life easier.

Attachments

Furorian

Registered
Reaction score
hi! i'm a begginer too. as i'm still learning hiragana and katakana, i'm using some writing sheets avaiable on japanese-lesson.com. they make me feel more confident, 'cause they're divided in four little squares. but i loved genkouyoushi <3 it seems to make life easier.
Thanks Leilane,

I really appreciate your help - and thanks for the files too :)

Best,

Florian