What's new

Nightmare Eikaiwa Stories Wanted!!!

EddieInTokyo

Registered
29 Mar 2017
Putting together a book about Crazy Eikaiwa teaching experiences. Looking for some people who can anonymously answer any or all of the following questions.

What did you expect in terms of teaching when you first came to Japan? Did it change after you started teaching?
What would you say the ratio of "good/honest" schools to "bad ones" are and why?
What was the craziest eikaiwa you ever taught at?
Did you ever have any strange students?
Any crazy colleagues?
What about the positive side about teaching in Japan?
In your opinion what is the secret to surviving teaching at a language school?
If you had CELTA (or other training) how was what you learned in school different from what you found out when you started teaching in Japan?
Did you ever have to use legal or other social resources to solve a problem and what came of it?
Have you ever worked for an exemplary school? What made it so?
How has teaching in Japan changed you as a person?
Do you intend to teach after you leave Japan?
What is the most difficult part of teaching ekaiwa style classes and how have you learned to cope with it over the years?
Do you feel there's a type of person or attitude best suited for the rigors of the ekaiwa business in Japan?

Please note: Only first names will be used and companies will not be identified by name.

Are you soliciting stories for an anthology, or are you doing non-fiction, or are you digging for inspiration so your book can be 'based on true stories' ?

There is certainly a lot of material to work with in the eikaiwa industry (worldwide, really).

I'll consider adding my stories. But have you also posted this on the ESL Cafe discussion forum? Virtually everyone there is an English teacher (or wannabe), so you'd have better chances of getting responses.

Rather than fill forum space with answers, perhaps you should provide an email...?

And even though common sense would make it blindingly obvious, it would probably still be best to make it clear to people they are giving up copyright and any claim to a share in the proceeds from the book.

...have you also posted this on the ESL Cafe discussion forum?

Yeah, Dave's ESL Cafe "members" have some of the most negative, critical, biased, horrific opinions about eikawa of any forum anywhere. You don't even need to do a search, just read for a while. You could fill several volumes with the "nightmares" & opinions available there ;)

johnnyG, I'd say the old GaijinPot outstripped any site for negativity (and trolls).

One thing EddieInTokyo needs to make clear in his publication is how much experience or background in Japan did people have before they experienced the problems they tell him. Quite a few had zero experience (or didn't listen to people who had some), so they only caused their own problems.

And even though common sense would make it blindingly obvious, it would probably still be best to make it clear to people they are giving up copyright and any claim to a share in the proceeds from the book.
And don't promise that all contributions will be included. That happened to me -- I submitted a story about experience here, was told it was great and that they looked forward to putting it in (and thereafter I'd get a free copy of the book), but despite the book being published, I wasn't in it and didn't get a copy.

Putting together a book about Crazy Eikaiwa teaching experiences. ...

Before you waste your time and energy, tell me who is going to buy a book of crazy/nightmarish eikaiwa experiences. Dave's ESL Cafe is a dying/dead forum--nobody gives a hoot about those folks and their nightmares.

So tell me, who is going to buy this kind of book? How is it going to become popular? How is it going to sell?

Or is this a labor of love?

Back
Top Bottom