What's new

Names

kiyye

後輩
10 Mar 2013
Hi! I'm looking for Japanese names with relevant meanings to some characters. I am a little bit confused, but I think Japanese names are written in kanji? Anyways, I need to know if the following kanji would be appropriate for a character's name:

画金 - It should mean "gold painting" (the character is an artist with hair made of gold) I think the reading is gakin or gekin.

I also need suggestions of names for some other characters: a girl who can breathe underwater - a girl who's hair changes color - a serious girl who loves to write things - a girl who is fluent in a lot of languages - a girl who can float - and a girl who is obsessed with the color pink

Thank you for your help! :)

You're not looking for names; you're looking for descriptive terms.

The way I understood it, the OP is hoping for names (either known names or possibly made-up names) that suggest those characteristics.

It's quite hard, probably almost impossible to look for/make up names that have such meanings, and at the same time, that sound natural as a name. The OP, are you looking for male given names or female given names, in the first place?

I'm fascinated by this world in which people are named after their abilities/character when they grow up, rather than by the usual method of their parents picking a name they like.

More seriously, most but not all Japanese names are written in kanji. However, it's not uncommon for girls' names to be written in hiragana - for example さくら is relatively popular and works for one of your examples. That doesn't mean that you can stick any two kanji together and it will look like a name, any more than the fact that many girls names in English end in the letter a makes Paranoia a lovely name for a girl.

You could look up what kanji are common in names, and find something that kind of matches: for example 絵 is pretty common in girls' names and would work for your first example (絵美 or something). 金 could be part of the family name.

Wow, thank you for all the replies :D Anyways, I took all your advice into consideration and picked some names. Please let me know what you think of them and whether the meanings are accurate (surname written first):

for the girl who can breathe underwater: 島大(Shimaoo - large island) 慶子(Keiko - happy child)

for the girl who's hair changes color: 宮徳(Miyatoku - shrine virtue) 愛美(Aimi - love beauty)

for the girl who is obsessed with the color pink: 宮徳(Miyatoku - shrine virtue) 愛子(Aiko - Love Child)

for the serious girl who loves to write things (also, does archery): 黒石(Kuroishi - black stone) 真弓(Mayumi - true bow)

for the girl who is fluent in a lot of languages: 松森(Matsumori - Pine Forest) 文子(Fumiko - writing child)

for the girl who can float: 中空気(Nakakuki - middle air) あけみ(Akemi - bright and beutiful)

and for the girl who is an artist with hair made of gold:金山(Kinyama - gold mountian) 絵美(Emi - picture)

ALL of those names CAN'T have such meanings, I'm afraid. As for surnames, we usually don't think about its meaning. For instance, I don't think of "large island" when I see a name 大島, probably because, unlike given names, the surname is taken over the parent's one automatically.

Back
Top Bottom