What's new

Nagoya mayor bites Olympic medal, insults Olympian

Buntaro

運動不足
27 Dec 2003
nagoya-mayor-biting-goldmedal.jpeg

I wasn't sure what the big deal was until I read his comments.

Nagoya Mayor Kawamura made the 'front page' of Yahoo News.

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    633.2 KB · Views: 88
I can't remember where I heard, probably one of my news podcasts, but apparently he apologized saying that he got swept up in the moment. He offered to pay for the medal to be replaced, but the IOC had decided to do it for free.

Nagoya mayor's medal-biting scandal eats up 3 months' salary

NAGOYA--Nagoya Mayor Takashi Kawamura announced on Aug. 16 that he will forfeit his salary for the next three months, worth 1.5 million yen ($13,700), to redeem himself from an Olympic medal-biting scandal.

Kawamura apologized once again for putting a gold medal between his teeth after women's softball player Miu Goto showed it off during a courtesy visit at city hall on Aug. 4.

He also had offered to pay to have the medal replaced.

But the Japan Olympic Committee told him that it "wouldn't accept a donation made for political purposes, based on the Olympic Charter," he revealed at an Aug. 16 news conference.

(cont.)

A good reminder that we shouldn't let our guard down even when fully vaccinated. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Here in Maine , pushing hard for everyone to get a covid booster shot since the new version seems to be spreading like wildfire. It's time for the yearly flu shot and they want us to get both shots at once. Not sure if I'll go that route.

Back
Top Bottom