What's new

Mobile phone in Japan

Wouter

台風
3 May 2004
I just bought a new mobile phone, it's a samsung x450.
Do you think I can use it in Japan? It has tri-band function.
Do mobile phones work the same way in Japan?
I mean, does it also work with a sim-card?
I have now a subscription with a Belgian company, but when I'll be in Japan, I'd like to have a new one with Vodaphone or so.
Is this possible? Can I use my own mobile phone? and where can I get a new subscription in Japan? maybe at the airport?

Thanks.

no, from what i've heard you'll have to get a japanese keitai to use it in japan.. please correct me if i'm wrong...

The time to make sure your foreign-purchased keitai will work in Japan is before you purchase it.

Someone told me, I can probably find an (older) mobile phone in Tokyo almost for free.
Is this true? Where should I look for it?
Do I need to buy a prepaid card after I bought the mobile phone? or how does it work?

How long will you be in Japan? Doubt your current phone will work here but when you sign up for a plan with Vodafone you can choose a free or very cheap phone. Older models but not too old.

Mobile phones in a SNAP!

Yes, Pre-K (Prepaid Keitais) can be had pretty easily, and for pretty cheap. But be warned, they are expensive to use. I got mine in AKIHABARA TU-KA store right by the JR station. They had a used color pre-k phone that came with a 3000YEN card and a charger for 6900YEN. Pretty easy, quick and hassle free. Just have your friends return your call, so that you don't end up paying 100YEN per minute, and it should be all right. AND YES... incoming calls do not cost you any minutes/YEN.

In reply to CDMA on Japanese phones, in a class I recently took at the university, I was told only Japan, Korea, and the U.S. are using CDMA, while the rest of the world seems to be going to GSM. My phone is CDMA, and I'll be in Japan next week, but I still do not expect it to work. I did ask that question before I bought it, but, well you know, salesmen will tell you just about anything.

yay. I want to get a keitai when i go to Japan so I am contactable in the countryand then i want it to take home so I have something really cool to show my family (japanese mobile are way advanced compared to mobiles in Australia by about two years)

Yes, Pre-K (Prepaid Keitais) can be had pretty easily, and for pretty cheap. But be warned, they are expensive to use. I got mine in AKIHABARA TU-KA store right by the JR station. They had a used color pre-k phone that came with a 3000YEN card and a charger for 6900YEN. Pretty easy, quick and hassle free. Just have your friends return your call, so that you don't end up paying 100YEN per minute, and it should be all right. AND YES... incoming calls do not cost you any minutes/YEN.

Ouch...not only a pre-k, but a TUKA PRE K?? Definitely expensive, but if you're only staying for a little while, I suppose there's not much choice. Signing up for regular plan was sort of annoying, but paying it was easy, and the plans were pretty cheap...so long as you text people and don't talk ($30 for 50 minutes of talk time on AU).

Someone told me, I can probably find an (older) mobile phone in Tokyo almost for free. Do I need to buy a prepaid card after I bought the mobile phone? or how does it work?

Yeah, older models are usually really cheap...sometimes 1 yen. Since they're constantly putting out newer models, you can probably find one for that price that's only a year and a half - 2 years old. As far as international calling cards, the best one I found was Brastel. It's cheap, you can put money on it at 7-11's (I'm not sure about other konbinis...I lived near a 7-11 so...), and you get a lot of time for your money.

I still treasure my keitai...with all the crap hanging off it. Great pictures too...

Back
Top Bottom