What's new

Miso question

stefano

後輩
20 Oct 2009
I've been trying my hand at cooking Japanese food for the past few months. I think I've attained rather edible cold Soba and Kasuzuke lately; so huzzah. After 3 or 4 tries at the Kasuzuke, I'm starting to wonder how long miso and Sake kasu actually last in my fridge. I'm guessing that they would last quite a while since they are both the product of fermentation.

So, I'm looking to know two things: about how long until miso and Sake kasu go bad, and what signs am I looking for when they do?

Cheers!

Here is the information I got from the websites by miso/sake manufacturers...

Miso: basically 6 months after you opened the package.
Sake kasu: 3 month after produciotion.

It is true that they are fermented products and can be kept, but they'll lose taste/flavour as the time passes.

If the miso is getting darkening in colour that's the sign that it's losing flavour.
Keep it not to expose to the air as far as possible, putting a cling film on the surface is a good idea.

As for sake kasu, they recommend to keep it in a freezer for a long storage.

Once I got a lot of miso and I kept it more than a year in my fridge.
It got darker in colour but was still edible, definitely the taste changed though.

Hope this helps.

If the miso is getting darkening in colour that's the sign that it's losing flavour.
Keep it not to expose to the air as far as possible, putting a cling film on the surface is a good idea.
The extreme salt content + artificial flavorings must be what play a role in helping it stay.

I know miso was used as a preservative back in Edo times (Hikone Daiimyo??) when beef was illegal (hide and hair straight off the cattle dumped right in along with the cut !) :eek:

Back
Top Bottom