What's new

Microsoft Botches Deployment of XP SP2

den4

先輩
15 Nov 2002

Why didn't Microsoft just seed a torrent (and a checksum to match)? Instead, they're telling folks to wait until it's their turn to download the new service pack via WindowsUpdate.com. Meanwhile, how many systems will fall victim to holes purportedly patched by SP2? BitTorrent could have cut their bandwidth bill in half and made a lot of geeks happy at the same time. That said, I'm already seeing quite a few "unofficial" seeds pop up across the 'Net.

- - Chris Pirillo

den4 said:

Why didn't Microsoft just seed a torrent (and a checksum to match)? Instead, they're telling folks to wait until it's their turn to download the new service pack via WindowsUpdate.com.

The truth is out there

Of course I am now Evil EVIL customer who didn't want to wait for the smaller, more appropriate download (that) will be available soon on Windows Update.

P.S.
WARNING: There's also a file called xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe going around the net, which has a different signature and it is not digitally signed by Microsoft. I recommend you not download that file.

For folks as want to know what the big changes are to Windows XP SP2 the answer appears to be 80% more nannying. :eek:

I don't know how much real security improvements have been made but be prepared to be bugged about your firewall, antivirus SW, running .exe files, etc, etc.

i think ill pick up sp2 in a couple months, maybe. let alot the bugs and whatever holes they made get patched first.

PaulTB said:
For folks as want to know what the big changes are to Windows XP SP2 the answer appears to be 80% more nannying. :eek:

I don't know how much real security improvements have been made but be prepared to be bugged about your firewall, antivirus SW, running .exe files, etc, etc.

As XP is a consumer OS, I think Microsoft did exactly the right thing.

Of course power users may call it "nannying", but Mr. Average User who has no idea about the threats the modern Internet poses and who has no idea why his machine started acting weird, keeps shutting down all the time, or why there are dozens of screencaps of his dektop in a folder on his hard drive simply needs to be bitched at and needs to be reminded that it's a good idea to update their antivirus software regularly and that it's a bad idea to run any file they come across and connect directly to the Internet.

My uncle didn't even know his computer had two hard drive partitions, for Christ's sake!
Moreover, had he installed SP2, he wouldn't have caught a virus because his virus scanner was outdated. Granted, SP2 wasn't out yet when it it happened two weeks ago.

By the way, RockLee, I'm sure the new Windows firewall can be turned off pretty easily. I have it running at the moment even though I don't really need it as I'm behind a rounter, and even Bit Torrent works fine for me.

When you look at the list of applications which might have trouble with SP2, I doubt that it makes things easier for non-"power users". They (thinking of my neighbour here) will probably make the life of "power users" (I wouldn't call myself that, but compared to my neighbour, I am) only harder by asking why this doesn't work anymore & how that has to be configured now.

I still think a few broken applications are a relatively low price to pay for a beefed-up security model. I'd rather have a bit of software trouble than a compromised computer. Besides, those compatibilty issues can be patched, can't they?

a few!? thats a big list there and i use several of those alot, my antivirus is in there too.
plus a mojority of those programs are microsoft made so if they cant even be compatibly with themselves...

im sure there will be patches after awhile, usually takes them awhile to get them all worked out.

RockLee said:
http://forums.divx.com/viewtopic.php?topic=60618&forum=5

fixes...and I also heard that in SP2 WINDOWS FIREWALL is AUTOMATIC ON???wth?? I had so many problems with that thing!! :(
Yeah but it appears to have changed a lot. The old Windows XP firewall was fine as long as
- You're not using certain programs (especially P2P)
- You're not sharing Internet Connection over a network.

As the second one is the case for me it was a complete flop. This time around it appears to have been much improved.

Oh yes they've also finally improved Outlook Express and Internet Explorer in terms of anti-spam privacy stuff, anti-popup and some security features.

bossel said:
When you look at the list of applications which might have trouble with SP2, I doubt that it makes things easier for non-"power users". They (thinking of my neighbour here) will probably make the life of "power users" (I wouldn't call myself that, but compared to my neighbour, I am) only harder by asking why this doesn't work anymore & how that has to be configured now.

"Comabt Flight Simulator 3 1 Microsoft "

Yes, "Comabt".

fixelbrumpf said:
I still think a few broken applications are a relatively low price to pay for a beefed-up security model. I'd rather have a bit of software trouble than a compromised computer. Besides, those compatibilty issues can be patched, can't they?
Yeah, but what would those non "power users" say? (My neighbour probably: "Could you please come over here & help me..."). If they have too much trouble with SP2 they might simply go back to their original system (if that is possible) or disable the new functions (if that is possible). Not really an improvement then.

BTW, a 1st security glitch in SP2 has been found by Heise security in Germany. Not too serious (until some virus author finds a way to exploit it), but the MS response was typical: "The observed behaviour does not contradict the design aims of that particular feature. At the moment we don't see a need to provide a patch or work-around." (my retranslation)

I'm not saying people shouldn't install SP2, there seem to be some advantages, but it is not absolutely necessary. As in my case, I don't use IE or Outlook at all, that's already a huge security advantage. If you then have functioning AV software & don't open every attachment you get, that's pretty much what you need. Additionally I have anti-spyware, a firewall & some other programs, but those are probably not absolutely necessary.

Back
Top Bottom