What's new

May I take it away?

8 Oct 2009
Hi,

when it comes to clear client's tables I usually will say something like:" May I take it away?" pointing to the plate or whatever it is...

Can I use that same phrase in Japanese?

sumimasen, sore wo moratte mo yoroshii desu ka?

Does it sound any bizarre?

thanks

お皿をお下げして(さげして)もよろしいですか?

食べ終わりましたか?

I guess お皿を片付けてもよろしいですか? is good, too. :)

mmmm...did I get the romanization all right?

お皿をお下げしてもよろしいですか
o-sara wo o-sageshite mo yoroshii desu ka?
I like this one above^^ do you think I could say something like "sore/kore wo sageshite ii desu ka?/ as well?? while politely pointing at that something with my finger?

食べ終わりましたか
tabe owarimashita ka? I did not get this../finished eating?/ ??

By the way, do you think I could you this also??

あなたはそれを終えましたか
anata wa sore wo oemashita ka?

thanks

mmmm...did I get the romanization all right?

Yes, you did it all right. :)

お皿をお下げしてもよろしいですか
o-sara wo o-sageshite mo yoroshii desu ka?
I like this one above^^ do you think I could say something like "sore/kore wo sageshite ii desu ka?/ as well?? while politely pointing at that something with my finger?

No, sore/kore sounds a bit rude to use towards your customer.
You should say sochira/kochira insead.
Also you need to put "o" before sageru. (not "sageshite" but "o-sageshite".)
And use "yoroshii desuka" instead of "iidesuka", which is a bit too casual to go with "osagesuru" which is very polite.

食べ終わりましたか
tabe owarimashita ka? I did not get this../finished eating?/ ??

To be honest, 食べ終わりましたか is a bit too casual here.
To ask a customer if he finished eating,
お済ですか?O-sumi desu ka? (have you finished?)
お食事はお済ですか? o-shokuji wa osumi desuka? (have you finished your meal?)

By the way, do you think I could you this also??

あなたはそれを終えましたか
anata wa sore wo oemashita ka?

No. In Japanese language we do not use pronoun unless it is necessary to make it clear or emphasize which/what you refer to.

It depends on the situation, but using あなた to address to a customer can sound rude.
If you know the customer's name, use it "(name) sama" to address.
If you do not, use "okyakusama" instead of "anata".

Also as far as it is clear to the customer what you're talking about, there's no need to use "sore".

お済ですか is simple and just fit in this situation. :)

OK, maybe it's not necessary to stand on ceremony. I was thinking the question referred to a situation in which the customer was clearly done or an empty plate was getting in the way.

明らかに食べ終わっている時は、「お下げしてよろしいですか?、そちら おさげしましょうか?」と聞いてもいい?
But in that case, depending on the standards of the place 「失礼します」これだけで十分です。。 ;-)

まだ食べているように見えるのかなぁと思う方がほとんどだと思いますか。Do you often wonder if the patron is still eating or not ?

ところで、私はヨーロッパ人が失礼じゃないとは思いますよ。 I do not think Europeans are impolite anymore. 😊 😌

たいていのアメリカの店員が「お下げしても宜しいでしょうか?」などとお客さんに聞くことが出来ないのはとてもいやです。 これはよくないと思います!

It's so irritating that most American restaurant workers are not able to ask permission to clear the table...:(

Last edited:
I remember now where I have heard こちら、お下げしてもよろしいでしょうか? was at ファミリーレストラン in Tokyo.

The restaurant was crowded, though. So maybe pressure to seat others was the issue. :)

Please forgive me I'm going a little off-topic yet I'd rather not open a new topic for this.

when people enter the restaurant do you think I could welcoming them by saying:

「いらっしゃいませ。りょうりてんようこそ!」 off course I'd replace /ryouriten/ with the real name of the restaurant....

thanks

kochira, o-sageshite mo yoroshii deshou ka? seems really fine to me! I will absolutely add it to my script...
by the way, are you talking about this?

http://www.royalhost.jp/
TOKYO FAMILY RESTAURANT A bit of a weird place so I am talking from very limited experience. 😅

As @undrentide -san pointed out, お済ですか is general.

いらっしゃいませ。何名様ですか?・でしょうか? "Welcome ! How many ?" you use as the familiar protocol.

{レストランの名前へ}ようこそ! Leave on the web site...:) サイバースペースへようこそ。haha

いらっしゃいませ。何名様ですか?・でしょうか? "Welcome ! How many ?" you use as the familiar protocol.

Ok. Yet, suppose I see two people entering the restaurant...could I just confirm it by saying:

Irasshaimase, nimei deshou ka?

thanks

Ok. Yet, suppose I see two people entering the restaurant...could I just confirm it by saying:
Irasshaimase, nimei deshou ka?
thanks
いらっしゃいませ。2名様でいらっしゃいますか? is more polite and appropriate for a formal restaurant.

Back
Top Bottom